pip installation of theano doesn't work in gentoo

Brian Vandenberg

Feb 6, 2012, 11:42:24 PM2/6/12
to thean...@googlegroups.com
The libraries that get installed are built against shared objects,
but it looks like atlas/lapack get installed on Gentoo with static
libraries only by default.

Workaround: clone the git repo and build/install manually.

-Brian

Brian Vandenberg

Feb 7, 2012, 1:07:57 AM2/7/12
to thean...@googlegroups.com

... or not, I wasn't paying enough attention to the errors. It was
scipy, not theano. Sorry for the useless message.

-Brian

Brian Vandenberg

Feb 7, 2012, 2:40:04 AM2/7/12
to thean...@googlegroups.com
So, scratch everything I said. The pip install is just fine.

For reference, installation in gentoo can be accomplished with:

emerge sci-libs/blas-atlas
eselect cblas list
eselect cblas set X <-- replace X with the appropriate #, retrieved
from the last command
eselect blas list
eselect blas set X
emerge sci-libs/lapack/atlas
eselect lapack list
eselect lapack set X
emerge scipy numpy matplotlib (...)
(other dependencies)
install theano
python -c 'import theano' # ... yay, it works!

If you leave out the eselect commands, you get some cryptic messages
about symbols missing (eg, clapack_sgesv, clapack_ilaev, etc).

-Brian

Frédéric Bastien

Feb 7, 2012, 9:15:32 AM2/7/12
to thean...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I'll put a link to this email in our documentation.

Fred