Should I upgrade my camera?

1 view

Jeff Fox

May 9, 2003, 11:36:31 PM5/9/03
I'm new to photography and just bought my first digital camera a couple of
weeks ago. I chose the Olympus D-560Z with minimal research and kinda on a
whim. It has turned out to be a very nice little camera and it meets my
expectations for a digital camera. I can point and shoot and get good pics most of
the time. As I use the camera more I'm getting better and pointing and
shooting.

What I have discovered is that I REALLY like photography. At least the
kind I can do with a point and shoot 3.2 MP digicam.

So far I'm shooting people and toads (see an earlier thread), but I want
to do landscapes and macro stuff and just about anything you can imagine.
I don't think portraits are my style. I like candid people shots or action
shots but haven't had a chance to do too much of that yet.
I'm at the stage where I carry the camera everywhere just looking for
stuff to shoot. Since it's digital I shoot alot to ensure I get at least
one good shot.

I've already hit the limits of the full auto camera and I think I want one
where I can at least over ride some of the settings and see if I can do
better than the tiny brain inside.

I spent $300 on the 560. I can probably only go to $350 for a better
camera. I'm still within the 30 day no questions return policy.

I've read here a few posts where people suggest the Olympus C4000 and
I think it will meet my requirements.
1. $350
2. Full auto but configurable.
3. Lens options via an adapter.

I plan to do some more reading about the C4000.

I don't have a particular attachment to Olympus and I'm open to any other brand as long as it gives me full auto,
configuration options, and around $350. Of course I want the quality to
match or exceed what I've already got.

So the question is, what would you recommend for a newbie that has
discovered that he wants more than just snapshots but can't spend too much
more than what he's already spent?

David Dyer-Bennet

May 10, 2003, 12:17:37 AM5/10/03
"Jeff Fox" <jf...@airmail.net> writes:

> What I have discovered is that I REALLY like photography. At least the
> kind I can do with a point and shoot 3.2 MP digicam.

Welcome to the "club"! One thing you will learn *very* quickly is
that, while you can do a very broad range of photography indeed with
cheap equipment, there is *always* some very expensive toy you faunch
over that will let you do something a little bit better.

(Sorry not to have specific advice, but I don't know the product space
you're shopping in well enough, today, to have useful ideas.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd...@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

mcgyverjones

May 10, 2003, 5:03:24 PM5/10/03

"Jeff Fox" <jf...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> I'm new to photography and just bought my first digital camera a couple of
> weeks ago.
snip

> What I have discovered is that I REALLY like photography. At least the
> kind I can do with a point and shoot 3.2 MP digicam.
snip

> I've already hit the limits of the full auto camera and I think I want one
> where I can at least over ride some of the settings and see if I can do
> better than the tiny brain inside.
>
> I spent $300 on the 560. I can probably only go to $350 for a better
> camera. I'm still within the 30 day no questions return policy.
snip

> So the question is, what would you recommend for a newbie that has
> discovered that he wants more than just snapshots but can't spend too much
> more than what he's already spent?

My advice would be to hold out and save up for a decent camera that you can
grow into. You really can't get much for $350 and if you get it you will in
all likelihood find yourself repeating the scenario again...

The money you spent on the 560 is in the big picture not a huge amount of
cash. It never hurts to have an extra camera around to use as back-up or to
loan to a friend. Give it a few months, by then you will know if you had a
two week crush on a hobby or a real passion. If the first, you have a little
P&S that you can pull out for holidays, and if the latter you will be ready
to sell the family cow to get a "real" camera (and prices will have come
down).

Use this time to learn all you can about light and composition, post
processing etc. When you get a camera you have real control over these
skills will be a good grounding.

Don't be mesmerized by the equipment, your eyes are the real tool.

MJ

Jeff Fox

May 12, 2003, 2:46:16 PM5/12/03
> Use this time to learn all you can about light and composition, post
> processing etc. When you get a camera you have real control over these
> skills will be a good grounding.
>
> Don't be mesmerized by the equipment, your eyes are the real tool.
>
> MJ

Thanks for the advice. I've kinda come to the same conclusion on my own.
I've decided to save up for a year and get a 4 or 5 MP that will give me
full control. By then I'll know what I really want and I'll make a more
informed choice when I buy. For now I'm going to try to wear out the 560!

Dave Brown

May 14, 2003, 9:03:43 PM5/14/03
Jeff,

Waiting would seem the prudent choice, though it has never been
mine.....

I started with a Nikon CP900, then went to a Canon S20, then upgraded
to a Nikon CP 995, then a Oly C2100-UZ (still have this and love it),
then a Minolta DiMage F100 (for a pocket camera, have this as well),
and finally I bought and have a Canon G3.....

I bought and sold, learned and upgraded...

No review, no post, can help you understand what you need and want in
a new camera. Until you get it in your hands and shoot some pics, you
will not know if the menu system works for you, the controls feel good
in your hands, or that it gives you the features you really need.

I know this, I will use the 2100 until it dies....I will use the F100
for all my business trips where I need a pocketable camera, and the G3
for those photography only outings where I have the time to pull out
the telephoto, wide angle and closeup lens, as well as, have time to
meter and frame every shot just right!

Do I waste money....maybe. Do I know what I want...absolutely. It is
now a passion, not just a hobby....

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.....

Regards,

db

Steven Whatley

May 14, 2003, 11:18:53 PM5/14/03
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote:
> "Jeff Fox" <jf...@airmail.net> writes:
>> What I have discovered is that I REALLY like photography. At least the
>> kind I can do with a point and shoot 3.2 MP digicam.
>
> Welcome to the "club"! One thing you will learn *very* quickly is
> that, while you can do a very broad range of photography indeed with
> cheap equipment, there is *always* some very expensive toy you faunch
> over that will let you do something a little bit better.

I think I am going to really enljoy my new camera (Casio EX-Z3). In
growing up, I never really got a chance to play with a film camera
because my parents would say, "Don't waste film!" Going digital, has
lifted that limitation. I can take several shots until I get it right
and delete the ones I don't want. I don't plan to print very many pics.
I mainly plan to keep electronic albums and make background pictures for
my 1600x1200 desktop.

Now it is time to have fun!

Later,
Steven