Chocfest (York, UK)

mamph

Feb 10, 2006, 7:47:01 AM2/10/06
Just a quick reminder that Chocfest is happening tomorrow (Sat 11th Feb)
at
Joseph Rowntree School in York.

Don't forget to bring your shorts if you want to have a go at Pole
Exercise,
your cake if you want a discount on the entrance price (£6), your mug if
you'd like a cuppa, clean shoes if you want to use the sports hall and
your
toys if you want to play.

Alan Blim has injured his hand, but has decided not to let this stop him
from coming to the convention. His workshop on "rhythm" should still be
going ahead.

Ali Reese will be demonstrating the art of speedstacking and will be
allowing you to have a go.

Physio Monkey will be running a workshop on shoulders.

..all of this plus all the usual juggling convention goodness with added
chocolateyness.

See you from 10am.

Sam
www.chocfest.net

jugglingeek

Feb 12, 2006, 11:52:42 AM2/12/06
mamph wrote:
> Just a quick reminder that Chocfest is happening tomorrow (Sat 11th Feb)
> at
> Joseph Rowntree School in York.

High: Cup stacking, Spamming Ewan, taking my coat off, putting my coat on,
playing guitar onstage,
hearing Tempe's final trick from back stage (phumph phumph phumph phumph
dunck *Crowd roars*)
pub afterwards.

Low: Leaving my SM 57 microphone at the school. Could one of the Yorkies
who will be going to Brum
this weekend bring it along? email me.

Crush: Ali's cup stacking skills

Bane: erm... Not enough mats for cupstacking

Goal: To perform a routine that was more entertaining than just me on
stage doing technical juggling
tricks.

Thank's to all the York people for putting on the convention. Especialy
Sam. See you all at Brum next
week

Cartists4eva

Feb 12, 2006, 12:13:12 PM2/12/06

Yes thankyou to everyone who made Chocfest 11 happen. I had a loverrrrrrly
time catching up with people and watching lots of mindblowing stuff.

Highs- Like eek hearing Tem-pei's final trick, the acrobatic people,
eating cake, seeing Sean in his element on stage ( I love that man!)and
also seeing Dr.Harper perform. Keeping two diabolos going with help from
Sean

Lows- Not winning the pole dancing class in the raffle. Not doing v well
in cake competition and watching everyone else be able to do two diabolos
when I can't. Seeing Mini in a teeny top (bleeeeeeeurgh)

Crush- Someone from far down south had a big zippy off rainbow toy/thing
which sat on the bench by my bag and I really wanted to take him home!
Eeeks guitar skills.

Bane- Um the tea n biccies being kinda far away.

Goal- Not give up juggling related things cos my progress is horrifically
slow. Find another diabolo and learn 2.

See yas soon
Nx

Little Paul

Feb 13, 2006, 5:01:20 AM2/13/06
On 2006-02-12, jugglingeek <juggl...@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote:

> High:
> Low:
> Crush:
> Bane:
> Goal:
<snip>

Oh go on then.

High: The compere in the show.
Low: The compere in the show.
Crush: The compere in the show.
Bane: The compere in the show.

-Paul

Azrelle

Feb 13, 2006, 9:22:49 AM2/13/06
Little Paul wrote:

> Oh go on then.
>
> High: The compere in the show.
> Low: The compere in the show.
> Crush: The compere in the show.
> Bane: The compere in the show.
>
> -Paul

But what about the compere in the show Paul?

Az

Adam Chamberlain

Feb 13, 2006, 9:33:13 AM2/13/06
>Thank's to all the York people for putting on the convention. Especialy
>Sam. See you all at Brum next
>week

Yeh, thanks to everyone he helped make it happen, another great
convention, don't think i'll make it to the ball ring though :(,
adding to the BJC and EJC. For me, conventions this year are a
complete write off.

High: Teaching this 12 year old kid - Dan (i think that was his name
- he was in the show solo juggling balls but he was with the Yorkies)
some siteswaps. He learnt 441 in under a minute without dropping, so
I spent about an hour with him on and off giving him some tips and
pointers and he learnt quite a few 4 ball siteswaps pretty darn fast,
he even got a round of 744 back to pattern a few times, I was most
impressed :)

Low: Sucking all day long because I'm soooo out of practice. I sucked
so bad at balls, I tried doing club stuff and even gave 5 clubs a good
go, but I sucked at that too :(, I ended up trying some diabolo :S

Crush: Realising how much everybody around me has improved in contrast
to me getting worse.

Bane: Well clearly I missed out on lots of cup stacking which I would
quite like to have tried, I guess there will be another time - the
jacket workshop was a laugh though.

Goal: I suck too much to set myself achievable goals at the moment.
As ever though, I planned on meeting some new people, I only met
three, but that's ok for a one dayer :)

There was quite a few people taking snaps, would be nice to see some
of them :)

Adam

Ewano

Feb 13, 2006, 10:09:04 AM2/13/06
Highs:
Seeing lots of friends I'd not seen for months (years in some cases).
Taking my coat off and putting it on again.
Filming with LP in the tea room.
Tea with three sugars.
Strong show - especially Alan Blims fantasticaly crafted and choreographed
routine + Apex Acrobatics with an acro act that I actually liked (which is
impressive)
The 10 car convoy to the pub.
Getting punched in the face and then given a nose bleed by John and Hayley

Lows:
Arriving and not being able to juggle for more then 5 minutes at a time.
Spending about three hours in York city centre - some by getting lost,
some by necessity.
Losing my jumper and then having no coat in the show - brrr.
Getting punched in the face and then given a nose bleed by John and Hayley

Goal:
Work on 5 clubs - failed.

Crush:
Alan Blim for his routine and *really* bad Jokes.
Lisa from Apex Acro - attractive but really quite terrifyingly strong with
just too much interest in finger dislocations.

Bane:
People talking to me when I want to juggle.
Organist.
Tea 3 miles away.

Little Paul

Feb 13, 2006, 10:08:38 AM2/13/06
On 2006-02-13, Azrelle <azr...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> But what about the compere in the show Paul?

He sucked.

-Paul

mamph

Feb 13, 2006, 10:11:08 AM2/13/06
Thanks to everyone who came to Chocfest at the weekend. I hope you all
had a great time.

I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who helped out with the
convention. In no particular order (and apologies to those who should be
on this list who I've missed)...

- The University of York Juggling Society for helping organise the venue,
running registration, making announcements and other convention duties.

- The York City Jugglers for their time and effort in making solid
chocolate prizes, making food for people involved with the show and other
convention duties.

- Everyone who made the show happen including:
Acts (in order of appearance): Everyone who volunteered to be part of the
Mexican Speedstack, Jon and Philipp, Sean and Zak, The Yorkie Bar Kids,
Matt Harper, Tom Johnson, Apex Acrobatics, Tiff and Eek, Alan Blim and
Tempei.
Comperes: Sweavo, LP, Ste3void, Yoyo Monster, Al, Patrick and Charlie.
(Yes, there really were 7 comperes all of whom were bullied into doing the
job on the day owing to our pre-booked compere phoning in sick - get well
soon Pete.)
Techs: Mini and John.

- Beard for supplying raffle prizes and support of the convention.

- Everyone who brought cake and to our judges (organised by Lorri) who
sampled every one of them.

- YUPE for giving up so much of their time to run pole exercise workshops
and give demo's (there were 8 instructors available throughout the day)
and for their donation to the raffle prizes.

- Everyone who ran a workshop, including Ali Reese (speedstacking), Alan
Blim (juggling and rhythm), PhysioMonkey (shoulders), Graham Benson
(whips) and various members of the Uni Club (beginners workshops).

- Dr Alice for being on call throughout the event.

- Kieran White (the pianist).

- Joseph Rowntree School for not being too upset by whoever it was smoking
in the girls toilets (the detector was set off) and for letting us use
their venue, catering facilities and equipment.

- Everyone who put people up for the night.

- The breakfast fairy.

- The washing up fairy.

I think that's just about everyone...

Sam
PS Did anyone lose a hat?

Little Paul

Feb 13, 2006, 10:30:39 AM2/13/06
On 2006-02-13, Ewano <er.i.th...@no.spam.for.me.matey.nospam> wrote:
> Highs:
> Seeing lots of friends I'd not seen for months (years in some cases).
> Taking my coat off and putting it on again.
> Filming with LP in the tea room.

OK, it's time I played properly.

Highs:
Seeing lots of friends I don't see very often

Taking my coat off and putting it on again

Filming with Ewan in the tea room
Actually coming away from the weekend with four or five new tricks to
work on. That hasn't happened to me in almost 5 years. I can't
understate how good that is.
Oh, and having now watched the show on voids camera in the back of the
car on the way home - yes. The show was a corker!

Lows:
Getting back to mapmhs and finding out everyone else had gone to the
pub. Not being able to find anywhere that sold fruit in useful
quantities, only finding the tea urn at about 4pm.

Goal:
I rarely set goals for one day conventions, but on this occasion I did
prommise myself to flog some trickswithhats videos, and I managed that.
Hurrah! (If you didn't buy one, but want one, they're available from
www.trickswithhats.org/dvd and the European VHS is stonking good value
at only £3)

Crush:
Alan Blims routine, Ali's enthusiasm, The bloke from Apex - *phwoar*!
Those arms!

Bane:
The pinky fingernail on my right hand, I didn't have the foresight to
cut it, and after 2 days of ball spinning it's made my finger sore.

-Paul

MonkeyJuggler

Feb 13, 2006, 11:47:24 AM2/13/06
mamph wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who came to Chocfest at the weekend. I hope you all
> had a great time.

-snip-

I'd like to add my thanks to Sam and her minions for their work. Also a
nod of respect to those who attended my workshop and were happy to be
stared at and poked and prodded in the interests of science (particular
respect to Anwen and Hugh).

I had a great time. Cheers.
Alan (aka PhysioMonkey)

The Void

Feb 13, 2006, 6:47:47 PM2/13/06

Well, I don't know about that, but he was certainly a little unpredictable.

The Void
Do they serve everything around here in tin cups?

Anwen

Feb 14, 2006, 6:20:00 AM2/14/06

Thank you for giving the workshop. I learned an awful lot about
shoulders, why mine don't work properly, and how to start making them
better. And I was quite happy to be a guinea pig.

Cheers!

Anwen

fakoriginal

Feb 14, 2006, 8:23:39 AM2/14/06

> mamph wrote:
> > Just a quick reminder that Chocfest is happening tomorrow (Sat 11th Feb)
> > at
> > Joseph Rowntree School in York.
High: Getting to see old friends for the first time in aaaaages.
Going inverted on that there pole thingy.
The show.

Low: Pulling _all_ of the muscles in my arms (but this meant I got to
watch the women's half pipe qualification and final whilst applying
copious amounts of deep heat, so not all bad).
Spilling melted lemon sorbet over my trousers during the interval of the
show (d'oh).
Someone stepping on my bag and crushing my deodorant so that it soaked
nicely into my juggling balls, and everything else in my bag.
Stopping on the M4 for 2 hours whilst they cleared a lane of traffic
following a fatal crash (eep).

Crush: Cups

Bane: The weather - sort it out for next year, will you :)

Goal: To win the cake competition and to try pole exercise (1 out of 2
ain't bad).

Thanks to the Yorkies for organising and particular thanks to mamph for
her squishy sofa of loveliness.