12th BJC Review

null...@earthling.net

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
12th British Juggling Convention

*Is This The Real Life?*

We set out to the convention on Friday, having already missed
a day's action. Hey, some people have a job to go to!

Slight problem; we disregarded the advice to pass Durham
from the north and approach from the south. This was just
typical English-centric thinking we decided. Lacking
a convention map ('cos there wasn't one) we had to work
with the written instructions and naturally got lost.
A small tour of some of the hillier parts of Durham later
we eventually got back on track and pulled up to the site
with the welcoming spectacle of the fire show in full
swing. We just beat the fire brigade through the gates.

Fortunately, we were told, it wasn't that the fire show had
got out of hand, but the locals setting light to a stolen car
across the river from the convention site. This was suppose
to be comforting...

Having secured temporary day passes (yo-yos), registration
having already closed, and pitched Keith's tent, we had time
for a tour of the site, or what we could see of it in the dark.
There was one large hall in the Sports Centre itself, a cafe
upstairs and a fair sized shower and toilet block. The doors
on the male side not only said gents, but also helpfully said
no females beyond this point, please use other door. No chance
of any confusion there then.

Outside there were three tents. A traders tent, a beer and food
tent, and the No Fit State tent. Time to meet a few old friends
and for a beer or two before the Renegade at 11pm. The English
Bitter served is best left unmentioned.

*Is This Just Fantasy?*

I've seen a few renegades in my time. This was the very first
I've sat out to the very end. As Renegades go it was excellent.
Devil-Stick Pete compared and he gets better at this all the
time. A definite plus was he remained fully clothed for its
entirety. As he said, first time; funny, second time; amusing,
third time; pervert.

Funniest act was the magic act (true to form I've forgotten
most of the names featured in this review. Please bear with me..)
Two of the most hacknied magic tricks you've ever seen, and
believe me, you _have_ seen them, but done in the true spirit
of Renegades with plenty heckling. ("It's can't be done!" "It's
not possible!")

Crappest act was the 'comedic' routine by the guy in the wheel
chair. Now, you weren't sure at first if that the guy was
able-bodied and the wheel-chair was just a prop, but you thought
maybe he was making a point here. See the person, not the chair, or
something. But unfortunately not. It was just a crap unfunny
act that went on way too long in search of a gag and then got booed
off stage when he finally gave up the pretence of the chair.

Biggest huff was the poor Dutch juggler who had gone down a
storm on Thursday night (see convention's running
joke) and had come back for a reprise. Unfortunately he was
way too drunk and went through his entire crowd-building
street act preamble when he already had his audience. People
were getting restless when he made the mistake of dowsing
his wicks in paraffin over No Fit State's new ring mat. He
was escorted off with his feet barely touching ground, only
to return an act later in a mighty huff demanding his music
tape back. "Ooooooo!"s all round.

*I'm Just A Poor Boy*

Having spent an only passible and very short night (Thanks
anyway C.!) on someone's floor I showed up on site next morning
set on some juggling. First a tour of the Trader's tent. All
the usual stuff and conventions specials are on show, but what
catches my eye are the latest in glo-balls. These things get
smarter every year. Now you can get ones that flash different
colours and can be pre-programmed by tapping a different rhythm
on it before you start. Various flash gits have been showing
them off around the site already and can be yours at only 69
pounds each. This helps me resist the temptation.

Keith and I then nip into the historic town centre for a wee
look around, supplies and so I can arrange a bed for the night.
Durham has a pleasant olde worlde city centre, only slightly
spoiled by the omni-soddin-present Peruvian Pipes outfit
clogging up the town square.

Back on site to meet a few poor lost souls who have strayed from
the promise land and have left the Glasgow Juggling Club to
live in England. We construct a few fiendishly difficult
passing patterns and keep at it until we come up with a six
person mess no-one can do. This is what conventions are all
about!

I take a break and go up to the cafe to find James organising
things, as is his wont. The Grand National is about to start
and, contrary to the Gaming Act of 1969, James is setting
up a sweep-stake. About 20 mugs, I mean punters, are persuaded
to part with a quid a horse. Things look up when BobbyJo
comes in first and I win 15 pounds. :-)

The games are then about to start, but I need to go and check
out my accommodation for the night.

*Scaramoosh, Scaramoosh*

Back in time for the massive convoy that is the buses to the
Public Show. Apparently the biggest hall in Durham can only
hold 440 people, so we are all being bussed to a theatre
in Middlesborough, thirty minutes away. 14 buses turn up and
miraculously manage to thread their way around the car park,
picking up an entire convention on the way.

The show is worth the trip. Not as good, in my opinion, as
the show two years ago in Nottingham, but excellent entertainment.
As is usual, things started with a barrage of paper aeroplanes
and a massive balloon chain. Then it got out of hand and
into a balloon squeaking competition.

Again, I've forgotten just about all the names, sorry! Anyone
like to add names to this post? Our compare was Mr Ping-Pong
and his first task was establishing the evening's catch phrase.
After a rousing rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody by the audience,
we settled on "I'm Just A Poor Boy." "Nobody Loves You!"
He tried to change it in the second half, but people quite
wilfully took this as an excuse to confuse the issue.

But anyway, the acts. Acts I really liked;

Toby: Amazing 5 clubs. Who else do you know that can do
5 club flats? Needs to work a bit on the showmanship though.

Devil Stick Guy from Wales: Great mixture of devil stick and
flamenco. Yes, really. Looked like Paul McCartney in Sgt.
Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. Yes, really.

Diabolo Guy: After a bit of a sticky arty slow-mo start really took
off. Possibly the fastest diabolo I've ever seen.

Headers Guy: Three clubs with head rolls _and_ heading ball in
air.

Gandini's First Act: Like "Stomp" with clubs. Rhythmic juggling.
Very stylised and not to everyone's taste but I liked it.

Greg's strange bounce cradle: Well I suppose you're bound to
get bored with a flat floor eventually.

Bruce : Smoooooth Rings. Features 'the toilet seat'.

Acts that were a bit odd:

Ben & Greg : Interesting idea, but I couldn't help thinking that
they'd have got that tent up a lot faster if they'd remembered to
bring some tent pegs. And a fly sheet.

Gandini's Second Act: Everyone has an opinion on this one. I
could get an idea of what they were trying to do, but a lot
depends on whether you like performance dance or not. If you
don't then this act could be very, very boring. And the sound
track really began to get on my nerves. The end bit was better,
very slick ring passing.

Mime Act: This was like, mime, you know? Good James Bond
though.

*Little High, Little Low*

Back again to the site and a massive queue for beer and food.
We're entertained by the only local Irish band from Kilkenny.
Funnily they sounded North East English to me. Manic fiddler
though and the oddest take on The Flinstones I've heard. I
bail out when it comes around to Danny Boy though. You've
got to draw the line somewhere.

After a wait in the No Fit State tent, the Renegade starts.
I watch the guy up the massive giraffe with an alternative
version of Van Morrison and witness Jay and Sean almost
get booed off for totally failing to get their act together.
Ether Bunny sticks a balloon through his nasal passages,
blows it up and makes a dog.

Unfortunately the sound system in the beer tent next door
starts to kick in and quality goes down hill as things
get harder to hear. I'm tired and call it a night.

*No Escape From Reality*

Sunday and a later start. The Springboard's been cancelled
for lack of acts, this is later blamed on lack of publicity,
so the Business Meeting has been brought forward to 12pm.
The Business Meeting goes they way as most of them do.
Nicole & Mini report on how things have gone, report on a
possible profit in the region of three thousand pounds
and take a well deserved round of applause. A few minor
criticisms are voiced (no parade, food, loud music) but
most agree it has been a good convention. It didn't rain
either, but a bit windy at times.

Things get bogged down then on the question of an organising
umbrella company to manage finances and pass on expertise.
This is a complex issue and people have differing ideas
of how it should be done, if at all. Unfortunately it's
not something that can be finalised with 50 people sitting
in a tent for an hour. Some people also need to learn
that the point of having a meeting chaired is to ensure
everyone gets a fair say and you don't get two or three
individuals constantly monopolising the discussion by
shouting out rather than putting their hand up.

Rob Stone then gave a report on how York 2000 is shaping up
for next year's convention. Rob's an old hand at this
and things are looking good. Then we had two tentative binds
for 2001. One from Belfast and one from Chester. Neither
were in a position to put a definite proposal forward
though, and it was agreed that the two camps should get
together and in a spirit of friendly jugglership agree to
divide 2001 and 2002 between themselves. Hopefully one
can present a definite plan next year. Personally I'd
like to go to Belfast, ‘cos I've never been to Ireland.

Lee Hayes had the last word advising everyone that the current
European Juggling Convention British representative, Dave Meah,
was stepping down and there would be an election at Grenoble
in August.

*Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters
to me*

And that's it. Been there, seen that, done it and got the
t-shirt. Usual disclaimers, my personal experience and
opinions, all errors are mine.

David

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
I had a brilliant time, too. Nice atmosphere, nice people and very
skilled jugglers to make you realise there's plenty to learn in the
next years. It was worth coming over, even though...

>Biggest huff was the poor Dutch juggler who had gone down a
>storm on Thursday night (see convention's running

>joke) (...) "Ooooooo!"s all round.

I admit that I made a rather emberassing appearance and I should
have known better. My apologies if I caused anyone any offense. I
learned a lot, for example not to loose my temper during a renegade
and to stay away from the the Special Brew next time...
Anyway, it's good to go down every now and then, it definately makes
you learn and tempers any building attitude...

Ironically, I will be giving a workshop on safety and firebreathing
at the next Dutch Juggling Convention. I will make an extra effort,
during both my workshop and the public show to stress what I can do
and that what I did at the BJC99 was a big mistake. Promise. ;-)

David
the Pyromancer
-(replace NOSPAM with manofire to e-mail)-

Dave Barnes

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <3713e2c...@news.tip.nl>,
NOS...@hotmail.com (David) wrote:

> Ironically, I will be giving a workshop on safety and firebreathing
> at the next Dutch Juggling Convention. I will make an extra effort,
> during both my workshop and the public show to stress what I can do
> and that what I did at the BJC99 was a big mistake. Promise. ;-)

Hmmm. Is this what people mean when they talk about flame bait? ; )

Sorry - bad pun!

Dave.