Intersection

Richard the Rampant

Aug 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/28/95
It is 20.45 on Monday evening. Tech has got all the kit out of the SECC
except for the newsletter (final ish due tomorrow morning) and most of
the stuff from elsewhere.
I'm biased, I had a good time mostly, but due to various little jobs, I
can only comment on a small selection of the happenings.
The Masquerade started on time!!!!!!!!!!
The dealers room was well organised and had the usual selection of stuff,
reports indicate that trade was patchy and the book dealers were doing
O.K.
The Fan Fair was very active during the day with cheap food, belgian
chocolates, Fan and Science programmes, fan market and various
professional exhibits. Tended to break up relatively early in the evening
as folks trouped into Glasgow for the evening events.
The Moat House had a fire alarm in the middle of the night, and another
half an hour later on Thursday evening. Faulty sensor. The hotel called
it "a false alarm of good intent".
Gytha c/o rram...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Keith F. Lynch

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95
In article <DE1EB...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,

Richard the Rampant <rram...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
> It is 20.45 on Monday evening. Tech has got all the kit out of the SECC
> except for the newsletter (final ish due tomorrow morning) ...

There was a Tuesday morning issue? I headed straight for the airport on
Tuesday morning, so I never saw it. What did it say, and what was the
issue number? Thanks.

> The Fan Fair was very active during the day with cheap food, ...

This must be some new meaning of the word cheap, with which I hadn't
previously been acquainted. 60p (about one US dollar) for a single small
banana? Yikes! I don't mind paying a surcharge for convenience, but
that's a markup of about 600%! No wonder they had strict rules (which
I broke) against bringing in food from outside. I should have brought
a canteen, too, as the SECC had no water fountains, and warnings were
given against drinking water from the bathroom sinks. I had already
consumed some water from the sinks before hearing the warnings, but
fortunately I seem to be unharmed.
--
Keith Lynch, k...@access.digex.net
http://www.access.digex.net/~kfl/

Seth Breidbart

Aug 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/31/95
In article <422r2j$a...@access2.digex.net>,

Keith F. Lynch <k...@access2.digex.net> wrote:
>In article <DE1EB...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,
>Richard the Rampant <rram...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>> It is 20.45 on Monday evening. Tech has got all the kit out of the SECC
>> except for the newsletter (final ish due tomorrow morning) ...
>
>There was a Tuesday morning issue? I headed straight for the airport on
>Tuesday morning, so I never saw it. What did it say, and what was the
>issue number? Thanks.

The last issue was #15 (one-sided).

>> The Fan Fair was very active during the day with cheap food, ...
>
>This must be some new meaning of the word cheap, with which I hadn't
>previously been acquainted.

The prices were only slightly higher than at the airport.

Seth

Alison Scott

Aug 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/31/95
In article: <422r2j$a...@access2.digex.net> k...@access2.digex.net (Keith F.
Lynch) writes:

> There was a Tuesday morning issue? I headed straight for the airport on
> Tuesday morning, so I never saw it. What did it say, and what was the
> issue number? Thanks.

It was issue 15, one-sided, and it didn't say awfully much. I understand that Steve
Davies is intending to upload all of the newsletters to rec.arts.sf.fandom. The
newsletter team did 15 issues, plus an initial issue on Wednesday evening with no
number, plus the announcement of John Brunner's death and the memorial issue,
plus their help was *very* much appreciated with the spoof, which Steven Cain
and I did in the newsroom, using their computers and printers, and plenty of
technical advice and support and jokes from the real newsletter team. The main
problem that the team appeared to face was from fans who believed that there
were certain things the newsletter 'had' to publish, no matter how dull they were
to the majority of the members. However, their revolutionary microdot printing
technique seems to have handled that.

--
Alison Scott ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk
Copyright Alison Scott, 1995. All rights retained.

Richard the Rampant

Sep 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/1/95
The prices in Hall 4 were a LOT cheaper than at the Moat House (GBP 11
for 5 coffees and a tea!!).
Gytha

Lindsay Crawford

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95

Once upon a time (30 Aug 95), k...@access2.digex.net (Keith F.Lynch)
wrote:

KFL>In article <DE1EB...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,

>Richard the Rampant <rram...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>> It is 20.45 on Monday evening. Tech has got all the kit out of the SECC
>> except for the newsletter (final ish due tomorrow morning) ...

KFL>There was a Tuesday morning issue? I headed straight for the airport on

>Tuesday morning, so I never saw it. What did it say, and what was the
>issue number? Thanks.

Here in bucolic Springfield by Eugene Oregon USA, Faye Manning plots the
first number of FHAPA, the Fan History Apa, about which we'd love to say
more if on we were asked. As her co-conspirator, I can say that had we
been able to raise the ransom to attend Intersection, we would have.
Sadly, our two small children and low wages kept us home. Not only that,
but I was never even able to afford a supporting membership, which means
I never saw the progress reports, they won't be sending me the Program
book, and of course I wasn't there to snag collect a set of daily
newszines. How thoughtless of me.

Lest you think me completely daft, I have a been a member (attending or
otherwise) of most Worldcons and NASFiCs since discovering fandom in
1975, and Faye and I were at ConFrancisco. Had to miss Winnipeg, but I'm
a supporting member of LACon3, and I intend to convert to A before the
year's end. Faye is in the market for an AM at some point, but at least
we bought AMs for San Antonio before they went up recently, and we will
be sending a small fortune to Baltimore in a few days for AMs for '98.

Wishing I had been able to attend Intersection isn't doing me any good,
but I am enjoying the reports of those who were there. Too bad I haven't
yet made myself known to every faned who might pub a report of the con,
but many of them are not yet online, and postage costs money, and then
what do I say? I've been doing what I can to be part of fandom for 20
years but being terribly shy had a hard time meeting people and having
the chutzpa to write locs. I am a stranger asking for your fmz, and
you'll just have to take my word for it that I really am a fan and have
read The Enchanted Duplicator and All Our Yesterdays and like that, and
I can and will write a good loc. Trust me.

Yet that is, in essence, the only way to join the microcosm and join the
grapvine, so I can at least read about the con. Can't explain just how
but the more I know about previous Worldcons, the more I can bring to
the ones I will attend (and work, given half a chance) in future. I
can't speak for Faye as ed of FHAPA, but it would be really swell of
someone could send us a set of Intersection daily newszines, plus any
con flyers or other fannish papers that were there to had for the
picking up: fannish things, you know, not including media, gaming,
filking or costuming, fine fun but not my cup of blog, thank you.

I wonder if anyone reading this has a set of Intersection progress
reports they don't intend to keep, and would consider posting (with
stamps) them to me? Sorry if any of this seems malapropos, but it was
either blurt this out or suffer in wishful silence, and I have too many
regrets over not saying or doing anything as it is.

Lindsay Crawford (& Faye Manning, & FHAPA, and....)
4056 Southway Loop
Springfield OR 97478-5928

If a fan cries in the wilderness, and there is no one there to hear
it, does it make a sound?

//Lindsay @10:06 mon 3 sep 95 (Happy Birthday, Roscoe!)
---
* OLX 2.1 TD * "We're off to Scotland," said Tom clandestinely.

C. Baden

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
Lindsay Crawford (lindsay....@emerald.com) wrote:
: I wonder if anyone reading this has a set of Intersection progress

: reports they don't intend to keep, and would consider posting (with

Well, I don't have PR's, and you're already a (supporting) member of
L.A.con III, but...

If anyone else wants to read the L.A.con III PR's, they're all available
on-line. Via e-mail, or world wide web (or even FTP)... I hope that
this will become a standard practice for future Worldcons (and any other
con that wants a good online presence). Dana, how's it look for '98?

(I appreciated last year's Westercon 48 progress reports being on-line.
I put the 1994 Westercon PR's on-line too, but I didn't make a full-blown
web page for '94; the Portland web page was nicely done.)

--
ha...@netcom.com - Home of Margarita Jell-O, an alcoholic use for lime
jello. Email me w/ "request margarita" as subject or message for recipe.

* L.A.con III * World Science Fiction Convention * http://lacon3.worldcon.org/
* Aug29-Sep02 '96, Anaheim CA * Email Infobot: in...@lacon3.worldcon.org
* Join for $110 * L.A.con III, c/o SCIFI P.O. Box 8442, Van Nuys CA 91409
* Rate goes up to $130 as of 01 Jan 1996; higher at the door. Join early!

Chad Childers

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
>>Tuesday morning, so I never saw it. What did it say, and what was the
>>issue number? Thanks.
>The last issue was #15 (one-sided).

It said something like "Tuesday morning - excessive edition: Go away!
Don't you people have homes?" I saw it in the Forte Crest. ;-)

--
/* Chad Childers */ http://msen.com/~chad/