Intent to implement: Media Source Extensions

Matthew Gregan

May 7, 2014, 2:36:51 AM5/7/14
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
generate media streams for playback. Allowing JavaScript to
generate streams facilitates a variety of use cases like adaptive
streaming and time shifting live streams.

Bug: mediasource (778617)

Link to standard: http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/

Platform coverage: Android, Desktop, Firefox OS

Estimated or target release: TBD

Preference behind which this will be implemented: media.mediasource.enabled

Benjamin Smedberg

May 7, 2014, 9:11:09 AM5/7/14
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 5/7/2014 2:36 AM, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> generate media streams for playback. Allowing JavaScript to
> generate streams facilitates a variety of use cases like adaptive
> streaming and time shifting live streams.

I fully support this; since the web lacks a standardized
adaptive-streaming mechanism, doing this in JS is a good stopgap.
Although I do think we should continue to try and build a standardized
adaptive-streaming mechanism.

Do we have plans for an API that lets users record the video data that
is sent to the browser via MSE? Video-downloading is a very common
Firefox addons, and I believe that just as users can download <video
src=""> we should continue to provide users with the ability to save
videos even when they are delivered via MSE.

--BDS