Open Response to Matt Thursam

Geo

Aug 27, 2011, 7:32:35 PM8/27/11
to gg
This is a response to Matt Thursam's August 25, 2011 letter to the Osceola
Gazette about the recent superintendent selection process ("The process
worked", see http://www.webcitation.org/61DuT7Vpm ).

Mr. Thursam was nominated by Cindy Hartig to sit on the Osceola County
Superintendent Citizens Search Committee. His letter was written in response
to my letter published the week before (see
http://www.webcitation.org/611nVaDV6 ).

Mr. Thursam wrote:

Second, though not mentioned in the article by name, I
was questioned about whether I made a call to a
candidate. I did make the call and requested a return
call that never happened. The Sprint call records do
not show my direct number. It still happened.

It is indeed a fact that Matt Thursam called a superintendent candidate. It
is also a fact that I questioned him about it.

But Mr. Thursam did not call Dr. Roberta Selleck (the focus of both of our
letters), he called Dr. Portia Bonner. Apparently Mr. Thursam got his
candidates mixed-up (like apples and oranges).

Dr. Selleck is the unnamed superintendent candidate referred to everywhere
else in Mr. Thursam's letter. Yet he never even attempted to call Dr.
Selleck (nor did he ever claim to have called her).

There are other salient facts missing from Mr. Thursam's letter also.

Unlike the Sprint call records that Mr. Thursam refers to (again in the
context of Dr. Selleck, who uses Sprint), Dr. Bonner does have a record of
Mr. Thursam's phone call (yet she doesn't use Sprint). Notice how Mr.
Thursam used the adjective "direct" as in "The Sprint call records do not
show my direct number." He knew full well that Dr. Bonner's call records
show the phone number that Mr. Thursam called from, although it was not his
"direct" number (ie. the one provided to the search committee).

The issue is not the phone call (or the record of it), but rather the lack
of a voice message. According to Dr. Bonner, Mr. Thursam called but never
left a voice message.

Dr. Bonner did capture the missed phone call from phone number 407-934-8416
though. When she tried returning a call to that phone number (about an hour
later), she got a fast busy signal. I also tried calling that number myself.
I heard a "Your call cannot be completed as dialed" message. Try dialing the
number yourself and you will likely hear one of these:

BrighthouseLine.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/3md5k8s

BroadvoiceLine.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/42v2bpo

CellPhone.mp3
http://tinyurl.com/3t8qbca

Questions naturally spring to mind. Is that Matt Thursam's phone number? How
do we know that the 407-934-8416 call received by Dr. Bonner came from Matt
Thursam?

These questions are tougher than you would think.

Q1) Is that Matt Thursam's phone number?

A1) No, it's an unpublished number
(and not the one Mr. Thursam provided
to the citizens search committee).

Q2) How do we know that the 407-934-8416 call
received by Dr. Bonner came from Matt Thursam?

A2) We don't know for sure, but ...

There is very strong circumstantial evidence that the 407-934-8416 call to
Dr. Bonner was indeed made by Matt Thursam. First, take a look at this
message from a Walt Disney World forum:

Has anyone been called by this number?
http://www.webcitation.org/61Dvtk9BU

According to the author of the Disney forum message, 407-934-8416 is a
Disney World phone number. This is further supported by a reverse phone
number lookup that confirms that the "407-934" exchange uses the
"LKBNFLXBDS0" switch. The name of the switch is "LAKE BUENA VISTA" (Lake
Buena Vista is located in Disney World).

Thus whoever called Dr. Bonner from 407-934-8416 must have been calling from
Disney World. Furthermore, since 407-934-8416 is an unpublished phone
number, Dr. Bonner would have no way of knowing this number other than
having received a phone call from it.

The fact of the matter is that Matt Thursam is the only person among the 19
folks associated with the superintendent search process who is employed by
Disney World. So apparently he called Dr. Bonner from a Disney work phone
that is impossible to return phone calls to. Maybe it's just me, but I don't
think that anyone should be making calls from such a phone with the
expectation of getting calls returned.

Thus without a voice message, Dr. Bonner simply could not call Mr. Thursam
back, although she did make the attempt:

Aug 28, 2011, 8:58:22 PM8/28/11
to harm...@googlegroups.com
The attachment summarizes my response to Mr. Thursam. It was submitted a few
minutes ago for publication in the Osceola Gazette.
The process was flawed.pdf

Geo

Aug 29, 2011, 9:31:54 PM8/29/11
to harm...@googlegroups.com
The first letter was rejected due to length. The attachment is a much
shorter version (now 562 words). It was submitted a few minutes ago.
The process was flawed - 562 words.pdf

Geo

Aug 30, 2011, 7:19:20 PM8/30/11
to HarmonyFL
Something seems not right at the Osceola Gazette.

After much back-and-forth with the editor (once again), is was decided
that this most recent letter can be published only after having any
reference to the Harmony Commons website (ie. http://HarmonyFLcommons.com
) stripped. This seems odd to me since my three previous articles
contained this reference with no problem and no complaints.

In case you couldn't guess, the website references are included
because the Gazette forces me to drastically reduce the content of
these articles. The references serve as documentation to establish
background and credibility.

Why would the Gazette want to limit the credibility of the articles
they publish? This is puzzling.
>  The process was flawed - 562 words.pdf
> 16KViewDownload

Geo

Sep 1, 2011, 7:49:42 PM9/1/11
to HarmonyFL
In case you are wondering why we need a new backup moderator for this
group, here's an email that I received last night from our previous
backup moderator: