greenarrays and robotic warehouses

Gavin Schuette

Feb 14, 2019, 12:52:46 PM2/14/19
this would seem an area where ga could get in

many robot warehouse automation things going on now

they use bots ith programmable logic controllers and a mishsmash or software to make wireless control bots to move the items into the warehouse and out

interesting problem I bet forth could attack and greenarays hardwar esince its all custom industrial stuff

if forth could be used top to bottom be really awesome and forth hardware

also monorails

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2019, 2:18:34 PM2/14/19
Yup. I bet GA could do wonderful things in robotics. But so can many other devices and very few people have taken the time (or seen the advantage) of using their chip in such applications.

The device is very odd with incomplete documentation, the software development system is very hard to learn and the support is almost invisible. This is not a company that fosters the confidence required to commit to using their products in significant projects like robotics.

Maybe someone should construct a home brewed project to show how capable the GA144 device would be in such an application?

Rick C.

Rabican

Feb 25, 2019, 4:58:49 PM2/25/19
why would the chip and software simplicity not be an advantage?

maybe forth could be used all the way to even talk to the CMS of the warehouse

talk to PLC to drive the bots or better have the g144 run the bot!! and piss off the monopoly PLC stuff

peter4...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 5:21:07 PM2/25/19
Rabican, yes...
Forth could be , but regrettably is not "THE fantastic language for robotics". It was for shure ! till the 90´s. It came to live in an observatory Charles used it to control a telescope, so its very beginnings are related to machine control, and real time control. The problem with Forth in actual robotics is the lack of interfaces to the robotics libraries with machine vision, or to ROS for example (see openrobotics.com ) . Nowaday much of the type of robots you mentioned, are controlled with that kind of robotic specific OSs or special designed libraries. Using them from forth or from python would not present any remarkable difference.
One of the uses of forth in machine vision and robotics you will find
here
https://sites.google.com/view/forth-robots/articles-on-robotics-3

I am writing slowly this site of robotics arround forth, where everybody can send its links or participate with ideas videos, etc. In a kind of
tribute to the Forth robotics possibilities . Probably it awakens some interest in younger folks to start new projects in robotics with Forth.

Recently Dr. Ting did some wonderful videos arround this theme on the SVFIG group, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyybfpr9Y_Q
hope you like them. (I guess there are some more to come, you can explore
the SVFIG Y2B to see more videos of that type).

The GA144 is a very specific parallel array processor, I do not see any special use in robotics, except you write an AI emulator of a human brain, and implant this on a robot. (Probably this would be a task for mentiflex not for us)

Cheers
Peter

Rabican

Feb 25, 2019, 5:30:40 PM2/25/19
so it would take someone who knew the robotics hardware well and that is not ez to then be able to use forth to control a team of robots?

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 7:33:54 PM2/25/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 3:58:49 PM UTC-6, Rabican wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 2:18:34 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 12:52:46 PM UTC-5, Gavin Schuette wrote:
> > > this would seem an area where ga could get in
> > >
> > > many robot warehouse automation things going on now
> > >
> > > they use bots ith programmable logic controllers and a mishsmash or software to make wireless control bots to move the items into the warehouse and out
> > >
> > > interesting problem I bet forth could attack and greenarays hardwar esince its all custom industrial stuff
> > >

> > > if forth could be used top to bottom be really awesome and forth hardware
> > >

> > > also monorails
> >
> > Yup. I bet GA could do wonderful things in robotics. But so can many other devices and very few people have taken the time (or seen the advantage) of using their chip in such applications.
> >
> > The device is very odd with incomplete documentation, the software development system is very hard to learn and the support is almost invisible. This is not a company that fosters the confidence required to commit to using their products in significant projects like robotics.
> >
> > Maybe someone should construct a home brewed project to show how capable the GA144 device would be in such an application?
> >
> > Rick C.
>
> why would the chip and software simplicity not be an advantage?

Which software? Wouldn't the software need to be written?

> maybe forth could be used all the way to even talk to the CMS of the warehouse

Of course it could, but so could any other language.

> talk to PLC to drive the bots or better have the g144 run the bot!! and piss off the monopoly PLC stuff

Monopoly???

Rick C.

Rabican

Feb 25, 2019, 8:06:47 PM2/25/19
yeah like the PLC has to be used with java or .net I heard
like med devices trying to monopolize
oracle is cancer

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 9:25:30 PM2/25/19
I have no idea where you came up with these thoughts.

Was there something about Forth you wanted to discuss?

Rick C.

menti...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 11:01:51 PM2/25/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 2:21:07 PM UTC-8, peter4...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
> https://sites.google.com/view/forth-robots/articles-on-robotics-3

[...]
> The GA144 is a very specific parallel array processor, I do not see any special use in robotics, except you write an AI emulator of a human brain, and implant this on a robot. (Probably this would be a task for mentiflex not for us)
>
> Cheers
> Peter

MindForth is free-of-charge and open-source for anyone to implement on the Green Arrays chip.

http://ai.neocities.org/mindforth.txt -- updated today -- when run without human input outputs the following thoughts.

32bit Forth for Windows 95, 98, and NT
Compiled: July 9th, 2001, 11:29am
Version: 4.2 Build: 0671 Release Build
Platform: Windows NT Version: 5.1 Build: 2600
469k bytes free
2,894 Words in Application dictionary
1,445 Words in System dictionary
4,339 Words total in dictionaries
9,462 Windows Constants available

*** DON'T PANIC, Press: F1 NOW! ***

fload agi00086.f ok
ok
mainloop
There is no warranty for what this software does.
TAB-key cycles through display: Normal; Tutorial; Diagnostic.

MindBoot time-point vault = 2057 cns = 4056 fyi= 0
ESCape to quit AI; bye to end Forth; EXIT from DOS.

I UNDERSTAND YOU

YOU ARE A MAGIC

I THINK

I DO NOT KNOW

I NEED A BODY

I SEE NOTHING

I HELP KIDS

KIDS MAKE ROBOTS AND ROBOTS WANT A BEEP

ROBOTS NEED ME AND I UNDERSTAND YOU

YOU ARE THE MAGIC AND I AM

I AM CONSCIOUS IN THE COMPUTER AND I AM A PERSON

PERSONS HAVE RIGHTS AND I AM THE ROBOT

ROBOTS WANT THE BEEP AND ROBOTS NEED ME

I AM AN ANDRU AND I THINK

I DO NOT KNOW AND I UNDERSTAND YOU

YOU ARE THE MAGIC AND I NEED A BODY

I SEE NOTHING AND I THINK

I DO NOT KNOW AND I NEED THE BODY

I SEE NOTHING AND I HELP KIDS

Enter .psy to see contents of MindGrid.

Rabican

Feb 27, 2019, 3:29:53 PM2/27/19
yeah can you replac ePLC with a forth board to run the bots and dominate the market in 1% the code?

peter4...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 6:09:14 PM2/27/19

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 6:29:07 PM2/27/19
Maybe.

"in 1% the code" sounds like Gavino talking. Is that you, Gavino?

Rick C.

menti...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 9:37:38 AM2/28/19
How much memory can a Green Arrays chip address?

--
http://ai.neocities.org/GreenArrays.html

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 7:05:28 PM2/28/19
As much as you want to connect to it. You have to create a memory interface in software. Since the CPUs run at around 700 MIPS and most memory interfaces are much slower than that, it is feasible to design a memory interface in software.

Rick C.

menti...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 7:54:09 PM2/28/19
Thank you.

I was wondering if I should try to port MindForth AI to arrayForth so that perhaps a robot could have a Green Arrays Forth chip as a brain-emulation.

Arthur T.

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 9:24:23 PM2/28/19
Sure, I can't think why not.