Posting a Reply

Quick

Oct 14, 2001, 2:26:52 AM10/14/01
Okay, I'm bored. (-;

It appears we have two camps going here as to where to place a reply to a
message. Folks are using both ways which makes it confusing at times to
follow a conversation.

Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

My take:

Top posting
Pro: Can see new text without having to scroll to the bottom of the post.
Con: Promotes large messages if snippage is not used.

Bottom posting
Pro: Long standing standard perhaps? (I'm not sure)
Con: Unless post is snipped, scrolling down to read the new text is
required.

Your opinion?

(X)

Oct 14, 2001, 3:11:55 AM10/14/01
Either way would be fine if people would do a bit of cropping and snipping.
It used to bug the hell out of me when I was on a dial-up connect. Now, it
doesn't bother me too much. I do feel for the folks who are still
downloading at 3kb/sec to read a 24kb message where the reply is 2 words
though.

Xanax <brevity rules!>

Arlo

Oct 14, 2001, 3:14:06 AM10/14/01

-J

(X) <spamb...@home.com> wrote in message

repeat .....

(X)

Oct 14, 2001, 3:25:18 AM10/14/01
Arlo wrote:

"K" twice.

It would have been more "Arlo-esque" If you would have attached a 362k wav
to that.You're loosing your touch, man. I'm actually disappointed right now.

Hit me with a wav, man!

Xanax

Got a Celeron 300a and maybe a mobo if you need, btw. Let me know and I'll
send 'em out.

Seeker

Oct 14, 2001, 4:32:36 AM10/14/01
I don't mind
Either way works for me

I just try to fit in

Seeker

Flos

Oct 14, 2001, 5:14:40 AM10/14/01
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 01:26:52 -0500, "Quick" <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote:

>Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

I prefer bottom, providing the quoted text is snipped or not too long. That
way, the original message and subsequent replies are displayed in the order they
were posted, resulting in less confusion about who posted what.... :-)

Flos <Kraits> and //+HG+\\

http://www.flos.clara.net/airwar.html
ICQ: 11918530 - YM: aw_flos
AIM: CASTHelen

Kraits website: http://www.airwar.org.uk
Hell Gods website: http://underworld.fortunecity.com/rom/348/

Mike Bowman

Oct 14, 2001, 8:24:16 AM10/14/01
At least put a BLANK LINE Then start your reply - it is easier to tell where
yourreply STARTS..

Oh TOP Poster here.

Jordi

--
"I see THIN People . . "

Flos <fl...@kraits.org> wrote in message

Flos

Oct 14, 2001, 9:23:59 AM10/14/01
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 07:24:16 -0500, "Mike Bowman" <mikeb...@home.com> wrote:

>At least put a BLANK LINE Then start your reply - it is easier to tell where
>yourreply STARTS..

I did, and nearly always do....

Gray Eagle

Oct 14, 2001, 11:31:45 AM10/14/01
Tempest in a teapot?

> Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

> Your opinion?

Don't matter as long as reply is relative and meaningful .. not a waste of
bandwidth.

Snippage rules :)

-GE

Gray Eagle

Oct 14, 2001, 11:35:46 AM10/14/01
Tongue firmly in cheek ..
NO .. NOT THAT CHEEK yA PERVERTS!!

> Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

I've always just hit 'reply to group' myself.

(well .. except for the incident with Brat where I hit 'reply' and began an
email war .. that was fun too .. similar to what HR did to me :)

I usually prefer on top .. but it can be fun on the bottom, also.

-GE

Oct 14, 2001, 12:44:37 PM10/14/01
Both

b :)

"Quick" <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote in message

Rotor

Oct 14, 2001, 2:36:57 PM10/14/01
In article <jc4jstolebmkjb1uk...@4ax.com>, fl...@kraits.org
says...

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 07:24:16 -0500, "Mike Bowman" <mikeb...@home.com> wrote:
>
> >At least put a BLANK LINE Then start your reply - it is easier to tell where
> >yourreply STARTS..
>
> I did, and nearly always do....

Sorry flossy, but you didnt and you almost never do :(.

2flie

Oct 14, 2001, 3:40:55 PM10/14/01
I think it has more to do with where your news
reader starts the Reply. Like OE starts you at the
top and I know other people are using different
readers.

--

Linc.....[2flie]
http://www.efw-sog.com

Kearny Hacker

Oct 14, 2001, 3:07:02 PM10/14/01

Quick <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote in message

> Okay, I'm bored. (-;

You expected this of course.....

DD

Quick

Oct 14, 2001, 5:16:50 PM10/14/01

"Kearny Hacker" <khacke...@cris.com> wrote in message

> Quick <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I'm bored. (-;
>
> You expected this of course.....
>
> DD

Ah... A middle poster. Compromise is not necessarily always a good thing.
(-;

-Q

Arlo

Oct 14, 2001, 5:19:38 PM10/14/01
My bad, Jeff. I don't always consider all the possible connotations of my
fondness for wavs. Just thought I'd post that on reflection.

And thanks for the offer .. but I'm hoping my pc woes will serve to inspire
me to accomplish more here to take care of my responsibilites as well as my
hobbies. =0)

<S> and thanks!

--
-Jay aka Arlo
~~~~~~~~~
Arlo <Arl...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

> --
> -Jay aka Arlo
> ~~~~~~~~~
> "Quien Sabe?"
> ~~~~~~~~~

Quick

Oct 14, 2001, 5:23:24 PM10/14/01
"Flos" wrote:
> I did, and nearly always do....

Helen, you can post backwards if you wants. I'll still read'm all. (-:
You usually don't leave a space though but maybe it has to do with your
Forte Agent newsreader?

-Q (regrets starting a thread yet again)

Gypsy Baron

Oct 14, 2001, 6:45:54 PM10/14/01
2flie wrote:

> I think it has more to do with where your news
> reader starts the Reply. Like OE starts you at the
> top and I know other people are using different
> readers.

usually there is an option somewhere in the newsreaders'
"Preferences" that allows you to select whether or not
to include the original text, quoted, and whether to
post replies above or below that text.

I usually don't care as long as people -SNIP- the
quoted test to the minimum needed for coherant
posting.

When replies are at the top, it's easier to skim the
group without having to scroll the longer messages.
With all the bullshit being tossed out in here lately,
that is a blessing!

=GB=

litningmatt

Oct 15, 2001, 2:53:38 AM10/15/01
.em ot doog sdnuoS.

ttaM~

"Quick" <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote in message

litningmatt

Oct 15, 2001, 2:54:54 AM10/15/01
Top posting.

~Matt

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 2:57:28 AM10/15/01

I've always made a conscious effort to ever since Ssnif asked me once. However,
looking back at my original message in this thread it looks like a > got left in
my otherwise blank line - is that what you mean? I will try to make sure the >
does not get left in then in future.... :-)

litningmatt

Oct 15, 2001, 3:01:50 AM10/15/01
Damn Flos get with the program!!!!! ;-p

I've never had any problems reading your posts.

~Matt

"Flos" <fl...@kraits.org> wrote in message

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 3:01:14 AM10/15/01
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:23:24 -0500, "Quick" <AWQ...@excite.com> wrote:

>Helen, you can post backwards if you wants. I'll still read'm all. (-:

!kciuQ ,sknahT !LOL :-)

>You usually don't leave a space though but maybe it has to do with your
>Forte Agent newsreader?

?siht s'woh ,KO

sloF

Arlo

Oct 15, 2001, 3:03:06 AM10/15/01
--- .... / .--. ... .... .- .-- / -.. --- -. .----. - / .-.. . - / -
.... --- ... . / .- -. .- .-.. / .--. ..- - --.. . ... / --. .. ...- .
-.-- --- ..- / .- / .... .- .-. -.. / - .. -- . .-.-.- / .-.. --- .-..

--
.--- .- -.-- / .- -.- .- / .- .-. .-.. ---
~~~~~~~~~

Flos <fl...@kraits.org> wrote in message

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:36:57 -0500, Rotor <awr...@telocity.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <jc4jstolebmkjb1uk...@4ax.com>, fl...@kraits.org
> >says...

> >> I did, and nearly always do....
> >
> >Sorry flossy, but you didnt and you almost never do :(.
>
> I've always made a conscious effort to ever since Ssnif asked me once.
However,
> looking back at my original message in this thread it looks like a > got
left in
> my otherwise blank line - is that what you mean? I will try to make sure
the >
> does not get left in then in future.... :-)
>

> Flos <Kraits> and file://+HG+\\

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 3:03:11 AM10/15/01
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:01:50 -0500, "litningmatt" <awpilo...@aol.com> wrote:

>Damn Flos get with the program!!!!! ;-p
>
>I've never had any problems reading your posts.

Hehe, thanks Matt....

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 3:06:43 AM10/15/01
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:53:38 -0500, "litningmatt" <awpilo...@aol.com> wrote:

>.em ot doog sdnuoS.

!ekila kniht sdnim taerg - LOL :-)

sdoG lleH dna <stiarK> sloF

litningmatt

Oct 15, 2001, 3:14:04 AM10/15/01
YEAH WELL ..../ ... - ... /// YOU!!!!!

~Matt ;~)

"Arlo" <Arl...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 3:19:49 AM10/15/01
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:03:06 -0500, "Arlo" <Arl...@Yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- .... / .--. ... .... .- .-- / -.. --- -. .----. - / .-.. . - / -
>.... --- ... . / .- -. .- .-.. / .--. ..- - --.. . ... / --. .. ...- .
> -.-- --- ..- / .- / .... .- .-. -.. / - .. -- . .-.-.- / .-.. --- .-..

.... . .... . / .. / .-- -- -. .----. - / .- .-. .-.. --- ;-)

Flos <Kraits> and //+HG+\\

Arlo

Oct 15, 2001, 3:21:48 AM10/15/01
.... . -.-- / .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .... .- - .----. ... / .-- .. - ....
- .... . / .- .-.. .-.. / -.-. .- .--. ... ..--.. / .-.. --- .-..

--

-Jay aka Arlo
~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:03:06 -0500, "Arlo" <Arl...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >--- .... / .--. ... .... .- .-- / -.. --- -. .----. - / .-.. . - / -
> >.... --- ... . / .- -. .- .-.. / .--. ..- - --.. . ... / --. .. ...- .
> > -.-- --- ..- / .- / .... .- .-. -.. / - .. -- . .-.-.- / .-.. ---
.-..

> .... . .... . / .. / .-- -- -. .----. - / .- .-. .-.. --- ;-)
>

> Flos <Kraits> and file://+HG+\\

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 7:19:39 AM10/15/01
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 02:21:48 -0500, "Arlo" <Arl...@Yahoo.com> wrote:

>.... . -.-- / .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .... .- - .----. ... / .-- .. - ....
> - .... . / .- .-.. .-.. / -.-. .- .--. ... ..--.. / .-.. --- .-..

.-. --- ..-. .-.. ;-)

Flos <Kraits> and //+HG+\\

Otter

Oct 15, 2001, 2:18:28 PM10/15/01
.solF egarag ruoy kcoL

--
Otter

Flos <fl...@kraits.org> wrote in message

Flos

Oct 15, 2001, 3:21:35 PM10/15/01
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:18:28 -0700, "Otter" <pj...@qwest.net> wrote:

>.solF egarag ruoy kcoL

(-: !od syawla ew - esruoc fO

Steve Rawlinson

Oct 15, 2001, 3:17:38 PM10/15/01
> Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

Bottom posting is better. Judicious editing of the quoted text is
necessary of course.

The reason it's better is that the conversation
follows a chronological order and is easier to read.
This is especially important in long threads.

> Bottom posting
> Pro: Long standing standard perhaps? (I'm not sure)

It is an accepted USENET convention butthat in itself
doesnt mean it's good. However, this prticular convention
arose for good reason.

> Con: Unless post is snipped, scrolling down to read the new text is
> required.

Editing the quoted text to include only the bits to which
you are replying is another USENET convention which arose
for good reason.

Trip

--
Steve Rawlinson
Claranet Ltd

D.J. Nephew

Oct 15, 2001, 6:38:11 PM10/15/01
I might point out taht top or bottom is arbitrary. It's teh consisentency
that matters.

I prefer if people top post, since that shows in the preview, meaning Idon't
have to scroll down. Other news readers start at the bottom, and make you
scroll up.

TK
--
"Dont bother me with the evidence.
The truth of an opinion is subject only to one test:

Is it mine?"
(c) BigWeek 1998-2001

"Steve Rawlinson" <st...@clara.net> wrote in message

Earl

Oct 15, 2001, 8:38:26 PM10/15/01
I think I prefer to reply on the top. Course, nowadays I
have been overhearing that my age is showing, they say,
because I repeat myself.

earl

Quick wrote:

> It appears we have two camps going here as to where to place a reply to a
> message. Folks are using both ways which makes it confusing at times to
> follow a conversation.
>

> Top or bottom - which way is correct or best and why?

I think I prefer to reply on the bottom. Course, nowadays I
have been overhearing that my age is showing, they say,
because I repeat myself.

earl

2flie

Oct 16, 2001, 4:37:56 AM10/16/01
rgr, must be default with OE then, because I
haven't ever messed with options that far.

--

"Gypsy Baron" <no-...@not.at.aol.com> wrote in
message news:3BCA15...@not.at.aol.com...

Quick