AFU EAST

Joel Furr

Jan 20, 1993, 8:13:11 AM1/20/93

I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?

Ted Frank

Jan 20, 1993, 9:11:40 AM1/20/93
In article <C15M2...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
>15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?

That's the middle of finals for me.

When or where is AFU Midwest?
--
ted frank | th...@ellis.uchicago.edu
standard disclaimers | void where prohibited

Joel Furr

Jan 20, 1993, 12:21:41 PM1/20/93
In article <1993Jan20....@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <C15M2...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>>
>>I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
>>15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?
>
>That's the middle of finals for me.
>
>When or where is AFU Midwest?

Well, Ted, we can be flexible. How's mid-February? Say, Saturday,
February 20, 1993? Pittsburgh has Terries, so that would be a good place
to meet for me. Any other comments?

Jonathan Papai

Jan 20, 1993, 3:45:09 PM1/20/93
jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
>15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?

Problem is, Pittsburgh is in the Midwest. I always suspected
this, but it was confirmed when Penn State, which is to the East
of P'burgh, joined the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a strictly
midwest institution. This of course gave the Big Ten 11 schools,
but they decided to not change the name. I think P'burgh would
be second only to Chicago as preferred location of AFU Midwest I.

ObFact: The Big Ten, with schools from Columbus in the East to
Iowa City in the West, was originally known as the 'Western
Conference'. Michigan's fight song still has lyrics about
'champions of the West.'

Jon 'Geographically challenged' Papai

Ted Frank

Jan 20, 1993, 2:45:52 PM1/20/93
In article <C15xK...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>In article <1993Jan20....@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>>In article <C15M2...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>>>
>>>I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
>>>15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?
>>
>>That's the middle of finals for me.
>>
>>When or where is AFU Midwest?
>
>Well, Ted, we can be flexible. How's mid-February? Say, Saturday,
>February 20, 1993?

Furrfu, is a.f.u going to rent a Concorde so we can get the whole
bicoastal thing going?

(And, hell, don't everybody mess up all these a.f.u. conventions on
my behalf.)

>Pittsburgh has Terries, so that would be a good place
>to meet for me. Any other comments?

Pittsburgh also has a Nigel, so I should even have a place to stay. Maybe
I'll just auction my appearance to the highest bidder. Coase Theorem and
all that. (Then again, there *is* the problem of the commons... Hmm, maybe
everybody should just send me two-fifty so I can afford to pull this off.)

Who's going to be in Pittsburgh? California has two Terries *and* a
vanderlinden...

Ted "decisions, decisions" Frank

Ted Frank

Jan 20, 1993, 7:42:00 PM1/20/93
In article <1993Jan20.2...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> PA...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai) writes:
>jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>
>>I propose AFU EAST should be held sometime in March, preferably around the
>>15th, in Pittsburgh. Anyone interested?
>
>Problem is, Pittsburgh is in the Midwest. I always suspected
>this, but it was confirmed when Penn State, which is to the East
>of P'burgh, joined the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a strictly
>midwest institution. This of course gave the Big Ten 11 schools,
>but they decided to not change the name. I think P'burgh would
>be second only to Chicago as preferred location of AFU Midwest I.

Damn straight.

>ObFact: The Big Ten, with schools from Columbus in the East to
>Iowa City in the West, was originally known as the 'Western
>Conference'. Michigan's fight song still has lyrics about
>'champions of the West.'

ObFact: University of Chicago was a Big Ten school before our
president shut down the football team. Now all we have are
Nobel Prize winners.

Ted "went five consecutive years without attending a school where
the football team won a game, until this year" Frank

Joel Furr

Jan 21, 1993, 10:16:08 AM1/21/93
In article <1993Jan20.1...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <C15xK...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>>>That's the middle of finals for me.
>>>
>>>When or where is AFU Midwest?
>>
>>Well, Ted, we can be flexible. How's mid-February? Say, Saturday,
>>February 20, 1993?
>
>Furrfu, is a.f.u going to rent a Concorde so we can get the whole
>bicoastal thing going?
>
>(And, hell, don't everybody mess up all these a.f.u. conventions on
>my behalf.)
>
>>Pittsburgh has Terries, so that would be a good place
>>to meet for me. Any other comments?
>
>Pittsburgh also has a Nigel, so I should even have a place to stay. Maybe
>I'll just auction my appearance to the highest bidder. Coase Theorem and
>all that. (Then again, there *is* the problem of the commons... Hmm, maybe
>everybody should just send me two-fifty so I can afford to pull this off.)
>
>Who's going to be in Pittsburgh? California has two Terries *and* a
>vanderlinden...
>
>Ted "decisions, decisions" Frank

We're working on an AFU East in Pittsburgh and an AFU Southeast in
Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. I'd like one to be held in February and
one in March. If you're interested, reply to this post and say so.

AFU Southeast would of course have to include a visit to the DUke Primate
Center so we could visit the Lemurs.

Jonathan Papai

Jan 21, 1993, 5:17:45 PM1/21/93
jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>We're working on an AFU East in Pittsburgh and an AFU Southeast in
>Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. I'd like one to be held in February and
>one in March. If you're interested, reply to this post and say so.
> ^^^^^

Of course, Joel is not completely on the up-and-up here, as a reply
to this message brings an response by automatic emailer as follows:

>From: IN%"jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu" 21-JAN-1993 17:01:09.53
>To: IN%"PA...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu"
>CC:
>Subj: RE: AFU EAST
>
>Please say so in a post to alt.folklore.urban, preferably following up on
>the thread already discussing it. This way people on the net see momentum
>gathering.

If you meant followup, why'd you say reply? Good larnin' they give
you hokies down thar.

In any case, if I show up in P'burgh, I'll try to get ahold of some
liquid nitrogen and a kryptonite lock, and perform a demonstration
to check the voracity of the FAQ entry:

>WILD LIFE IN THE FAST LANE
>Tb.Freon can be used to break Kryptonite locks.
>Tb.No self-respecting car thief would use it though.
>Fb."The New York Method" is a means of contraception.

I'll use liquid nitrogen rather than freon because it's
earth-friendly, and alot cheaper.

-J.

Sean Smith

Jan 22, 1993, 9:44:01 AM1/22/93

jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>We're working on an AFU East in Pittsburgh and an AFU Southeast in
>Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. I'd like one to be held in February and
>one in March. If you're interested, reply to this post and say so.
> ^^^^^

Yup, I'm interested in an AFU gathering in Pittsburgh. I'm not quite sure
if it should be called AFU East, though; I'm only a transplant here,
but I think the natives actually believe they're in the midwest.

How about the Squirrel Hill Cafe, on the corner of Murray and Forbes?

--Sean ``how's that for momentum?'' Smith

sean....@cs.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon computer science

posting from PITTSBURGH, the center of the AFUniverse!

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Jan 23, 1993, 12:22:08 PM1/23/93

>>We're working on an AFU East in Pittsburgh and an AFU Southeast in
>>Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. I'd like one to be held in February and
>>one in March. If you're interested, reply to this post and say so.
i will be in pittsburgh sometime in july or august. any chance you could
delay it till then?
-- little gator aka s. mudgett email: s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

No parking EXCEPT FOR BOB

Jan 23, 1993, 10:54:20 PM1/23/93
PA...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai) writes:

>In any case, if I show up in P'burgh, I'll try to get ahold of some
>liquid nitrogen and a kryptonite lock, and perform a demonstration
>to check the voracity of the FAQ entry:
>
>>WILD LIFE IN THE FAST LANE
>>Tb.Freon can be used to break Kryptonite locks.
>>Tb.No self-respecting car thief would use it though.
>>Fb."The New York Method" is a means of contraception.
>
>I'll use liquid nitrogen rather than freon because it's
>earth-friendly, and alot cheaper.

Not to mention several orders of magnitude more effective.

Tb.LN2 works so-so
F .Freon makes a difference compared to room temp

Anyone who considers Freon "cryogenic" must be gullible or something.

Bob

todd j. derr

Jan 24, 1993, 8:47:40 PM1/24/93
In article <C19FLE...@cs.cmu.edu> smi...@cs.cmu.edu (Sean Smith) writes:
>Yup, I'm interested in an AFU gathering in Pittsburgh. I'm not quite sure
>if it should be called AFU East, though; I'm only a transplant here,
>but I think the natives actually believe they're in the midwest.

Well, actually, we're preparing for the day that we WILL be _THE_ east
after the entire seaboard falls... well, into the sea. (or is that the
other coast?!??!)

>How about the Squirrel Hill Cafe, on the corner of Murray and Forbes?

ahhhh, could work... there's probably better places once I can think
again... As long as it's _NOT_ feb. 20, I'll be happy.

>--Sean ``how's that for momentum?'' Smith

todd "vrroooom vroooooom" derr

todd j. derr

Jan 24, 1993, 8:52:58 PM1/24/93
In article <H.eg.nrv...@harvee.billerica.ma.us> s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us writes:
>i will be in pittsburgh sometime in july or august. any chance you could
>delay it till then?

ahh, what the heck, we'll just have another one when the time is
ripe... AFU day should be every day!

todd "but unfortunately I don't have that much news time anymore" derr

ObUL: Fb. If you skip all of your classes, you get a 4.0.

Ted Frank

Jan 24, 1993, 9:54:51 PM1/24/93
In article <24...@blue.cis.pitt.edu> inf...@cislabs.pitt.edu (todd j. derr) writes:
>ObUL: Fb. If you skip all of your classes, you get a 4.0.

Worked for me. The only year at Brandeis I made a 4.0 was my senior year,
when I skipped all my classes. My best grades in law school are in the
classes I skipped most, while my worst grade in first year was in the class I
went to most often. Go know.

Ted "averaged one hour of class a week his last semester at Brandeis" Frank

Sean Smith

Jan 25, 1993, 11:08:12 AM1/25/93

In article <24...@blue.cis.pitt.edu> inf...@cislabs.pitt.edu (todd j. derr) writes:
>In article <C19FLE...@cs.cmu.edu> smi...@cs.cmu.edu (Sean Smith) writes:
>>How about the Squirrel Hill Cafe, on the corner of Murray and Forbes?

>ahhhh, could work... there's probably better places once I can think

The Cage was just the first place that popped into my head: easily
accessed by bus, and has Penn Dark on tap.

But there aren't any large tables, and the food isn't anything wonderful.

Somebody should show some initiative and name a date and time...

--Sean ``...but not me'' Smith

ObUL: Dali presented Harpo Marx with a harp strung with barbed wire;
Harpo threw it out.

Robert Huss

Jan 25, 1993, 12:47:12 PM1/25/93

|> We're working on an AFU East in Pittsburgh and an AFU Southeast in
|> Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. I'd like one to be held in February and
|> one in March. If you're interested, reply to this post and say so.

I am up for a Pittsburgh AFU east anytime. As far as I'm concerned
Pittsburgh is an ideal location. Heck, if you want to hold AFU West, AFU
Southeast, or AFU Great White North in Pittsburgh, I'll be there!
Yo! Terry! (tjw) What about you? Don't you think Pittsburgh is a
great location?

Bob "The One Bob" Huss

Derek Tearne

Jan 24, 1993, 6:25:12 PM1/24/93
>In article <C15xK...@polaris.async.vt.edu> jf...@polaris.async.vt.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

>>>That's the middle of finals for me.
>>>
>>>When or where is AFU Midwest?
>>
>>Well, Ted, we can be flexible. How's mid-February? Say, Saturday,
>>February 20, 1993?
>
>Furrfu, is a.f.u going to rent a Concorde so we can get the whole
>bicoastal thing going?

If you can get that Concorde for a couple of days we could organise an
AFU really really way south here in New Zealand.

Such events as Coriolis testing<TM>, blind Vegemite/Marmite/Promite taste
testing etc.

Delicacies such as Pakeha and Puha, and Kiore will be on the menu.
As well as AFU chicken mole (tastes like chicken and contains garlic and
chocolate).

There will also be a "Who invented Pavlova?" competition between a team of
Australians and a team of Kiwis.

ObUL: We are now in the Chinese year of the 'tastes like chicken'

Derek "Any takers" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. -- de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz -- Fujitsu New Zealand --
_______

Terry Chan

Feb 2, 1993, 10:26:43 AM2/2/93
sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz writes:
+ }
+I'm a K 1 W 1 from the land of the long white cloud }
+ from the day i begun till the day i'm done /
+ I'm a K1W1
^^^^^

Is this like the southern version of "D00DZ"?

Terry "R00LZ" Chan
--
Energy and Environment Division | Internet: TWC...@lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory |

Robin Halligan

Feb 2, 1993, 6:57:49 PM2/2/93
Derek Tearne (de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz) wrote:

[bits under went 3 sided chicken cannon firing]
:
: If you can get that Concorde for a couple of days we could organise an

: AFU really really way south here in New Zealand.
:
: Such events as Coriolis testing<TM>, blind Vegemite/Marmite/Promite taste
: testing etc.
:
: Delicacies such as Pakeha and Puha, and Kiore will be on the menu.
: As well as AFU chicken mole (tastes like chicken and contains garlic and
: chocolate).
:
: There will also be a "Who invented Pavlova?" competition between a team of
: Australians and a team of Kiwis.
:
: ObUL: We are now in the Chinese year of the 'tastes like chicken'
:
: Derek "Any takers" Tearne

This sounds good i'll be there with bells on

:
: --

: Derek Tearne. -- de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz -- Fujitsu New Zealand --
: _______
: _______} This is a Usenet Condom<tm>. Roll the condom over the .signature
: file before posting to protect yourself from .sig retro-virii

--
---------------------------------------------------\
sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz (Robin Halligan) \

}
I'm a K 1 W 1 from the land of the long white cloud }

from the day i begun till the day i'm done /

I'm a K1W1
---------------------------------------------------/\
I tried your Usenet Condom<tm> but it broke!

bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au

Feb 3, 1993, 4:33:00 AM2/3/93
sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz (Robin Halligan) writes:
> Derek Tearne (de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz) wrote:
>
> [bits under went 3 sided chicken cannon firing]
> :
> : If you can get that Concorde for a couple of days we could organise an
> : AFU really really way south here in New Zealand.
> :
> : Such events as Coriolis testing<TM>, blind Vegemite/Marmite/Promite taste
> : testing etc.
> :
> : Delicacies such as Pakeha and Puha, and Kiore will be on the menu.
> : As well as AFU chicken mole (tastes like chicken and contains garlic and
> : chocolate).
> :
> : There will also be a "Who invented Pavlova?" competition between a team of
> : Australians and a team of Kiwis.
> :
> : ObUL: We are now in the Chinese year of the 'tastes like chicken'
> :
> : Derek "Any takers" Tearne
>
> This sounds good i'll be there with bells on

Nobody trust this man, he is obviously a Morris dancer.

ObUL: Morris dancing was a secret government conspiricy to prop up the
Morris car company in England.

Bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au OR bu...@monu1.cc.monash.oz
DOD# 251 '84 VF 750 Closet Ducatisto
Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

Robin Halligan

Feb 7, 1993, 7:54:19 PM2/7/93
Terry Chan (twc...@tennyson.lbl.gov) wrote:

: sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz writes:
: + }
: +I'm a K 1 W 1 from the land of the long white cloud }
: + from the day i begun till the day i'm done /
: + I'm a K1W1
: ^^^^^
:
:
: Is this like the southern version of "D00DZ"?

could be it's from a song by a band who's name i cannot remember at the moment
(i'll get shot for that)
K1W1 = KIWI (new zealander)

OBUL: woman in California failed her driving test in 1 second

:
: Terry "R00LZ" Chan

: --
: Energy and Environment Division | Internet: TWC...@lbl.gov
: Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory |
: Berkeley, California USA 94720 | Yeah, right.

--

sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz (Robin Halligan)
Amigans Public Access UUCP Node Wanganui New Zealand

I'm a K 1 W 1 from the land of the long white cloud

from the day i begun till the day i'm done

I'm a K1W1

Tom Wilbur

Feb 7, 1993, 8:00:06 PM2/7/93
In article <starma...@crash.amigans.gen.nz> sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz writes:

>OBUL: woman in California failed her driving test in 1 second

Well, my friend (not FOAF, please note) failed his CA driving test in
pretty damn close to one second. He pulled out of the parking lot
directly into the leftmost lane (i.e., oncoming traffic, in this part
of the world). The instructor calmly asked him to pull back into the
parking lot and that was enough, thank you very much.

ObUL: Cynthia Kandolf is referred to as "the late" because she'll
probably be late to AFU WEST V (it is quite a drive, after all).

-- Tom "nice troll, by the way" Wilbur

| Tom Wilbur | "If we do not succeed, then we run |
| chr...@leland.stanford.edu | the risk of failure." |
| chr...@csli.stanford.edu | -- Dan Quayle |

Dave Horsfall

Feb 8, 1993, 8:42:01 PM2/8/93
In article <1993Feb8.0...@Csli.Stanford.EDU>,
chr...@Csli.Stanford.EDU (Tom Wilbur) writes:

| >OBUL: woman in California failed her driving test in 1 second
|
| Well, my friend (not FOAF, please note) failed his CA driving test in
| pretty damn close to one second. He pulled out of the parking lot
| directly into the leftmost lane (i.e., oncoming traffic, in this part
| of the world). The instructor calmly asked him to pull back into the
| parking lot and that was enough, thank you very much.

I failed my first motor-cycle test that way; I pulled out, and turned
right into a T-intersection, expecting vehicles on the left to give
way (in the days of the stupid give-way-to-the-right-rule; USA-types
will have to correct accordingly). The bloke failed me, even though
I was in the right; he could not morally let me ride home when I was
still a danger to myself. I couldn't argue with that...

Dave "A temporary Australian" Horsfall

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU) VK2KFU @ VK2RWI.NSW.AUS.OC
da...@esi.COM.AU ...munnari!esi.COM.AU!dave

Robin Halligan

Feb 9, 1993, 5:26:11 PM2/9/93
bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au wrote:

: sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz (Robin Halligan) writes:
: > Derek Tearne (de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz) wrote:
: >
: > [bits under went 3 sided chicken cannon firing]
: > :
[...]

Thats a retired Morris dancer

:
: ObUL: Morris dancing was a secret government conspiricy to prop up the

: Morris car company in England.
:
: Bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au OR bu...@monu1.cc.monash.oz
: DOD# 251 '84 VF 750 Closet Ducatisto
: Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

Roger MacNicol

Feb 9, 1993, 2:53:48 PM2/9/93

>OBUL: woman in California failed her driving test in 1 second

My wife managed to get a parking ticket during her driving test; in
Framingham you see the cop so that he can check your papers and insurance
and then you can move your car to a restricted parking area while the cop
takes you out one at a time. Well, having parked, there were a few other
drivers in front of her so she went in to the restroom. When she came out
there was a parking ticket on the car (which was clearly marked as belonging
to a driving school).

I better not make any comments about meter maids or I might make a
politically incorrect statement about the educationally subnormal ...

- Roger

* Roger MacNicol, Snr. Software Engineer
* VMark Software, Inc., 30 Speen Street, Framingham, MA 01701-1800
* email: uvmark%ro...@merk.com