Soccer Development Conference Call April 26, 2012 Minutes

Meely Yim

May 17, 2012, 3:28:56 PM5/17/12
to SOO Soccer
Soccer Development Conference Call Notes

Thursday April 26, 2012

1. Welcome, Call overview
Community Representatives: Brampton, Kingston, Oakville, Peterborough

2. Sport Development
Q: Where do I place athletes that have a lower ability than a D
rank?
A: Depending on the number that you have you will either mix them in
as best you can or if you have enough to pull them out and put them
into an entirely new group.

Q: Where can I look for competition with same rank/ability? Also
looking for competition for those athletes below a D rank. Some
concerns are that teams are dropping levels resulting in the inability
to play competitively.
A: Competitions within SOO can be found on our events and registration
page at events.specialolympicosntairo.com A good idea would be to hold
a Friendly/Pre-tournament where your team will meet up with other
teams in other communities and match their level teams with yours.
This can work the same for athletes who fall under a D level.

The sport specific discussion forum found on our Information Portal is
a great way to find out information, post questions and meet other
coaches across the province. Click Here to Visit the Soccer Discussion
Forum

Q: Is there anyway to change the program? I would like to see a 6v6 or
other format. It’s less running, less ground to cover and athletes
have more fun.

Sport Technical
- No rules change will occur until after 2015.
- After 2012 Provincial Games, a plan to identify teams regarding
divisioning and the criteria.
- We are trying to tighten up the divisioning process.

Q: Are we allowed to stand behind the goalie and coach?
A: No, however standing on the sidelines is okay during tournaments.

Q: How do you deal with aggressive players?
A: At the beginning of the tournament or during the coach’s meeting
make sure to address all concerns. During a competition the Referee
should be handling this. If they are not, make contact with the Head
Coach or Competition Host.

Click Here to View the Complete Special Olympics Canada Soccer Rules

Ontario Support? What do we need? What would you like to see?

Q: Where can I find competition within Special Olympics Ontario?
A: Please visit events.specialolympicsontario.ca for all SOO events
and competition.
If you would like to host and invite other regions to a competition
please contact your District Developer. For a detailed list of
District Sites please visit www.specialolympicsontario.com
There is also a sport discussion forum for every sport in SOO on the
Information Portal at info.specialolympicsontario.ca , Section 14 -
Sports. Information, updates, questions, discussions can be posted
here and read across the province.

Competition Development

Q: Do coach certification requirements change when coaching at
Provincials?
A: Yes they do. For a full read out of Coaching Certification
Requirements for Higher Competition(10.3.2) please visit our
Information Portal at info.specialolympicsontario.ca under section 10
- Coaching.

Q: Is there a sport specific requirement when coaching at
provincials?
A: It is not required at Provincials but at Nationals. However, it is
encouraged.

Q: In a tournament can a player/team be at two levels?
A: At a Provincial Qualifier, no. At in Invitational, not recommended
however, that decision will be up to the Competition Host.

Other
If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding this call please
feel free to contact Dia Sue-Wah-Sing, Sports & Coach Education
Developer at Special Olympics Ontario at
1-888-333-5515 x234, 1-416-447-8326 x234 or by email at
di...@specialolympicsontario.com