Genome Browser Data

1 view

Martin Garbe

Dec 3, 2014, 11:16:23 AM12/3/14
to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello,

my question is, how one can search in all chromosomes for a keyword
like transposons?

With the genome browser one only can search in one chromosome and in
the "Genome Data" I can't find a file/table
which contains for example gene id, gene description and position on
the chromosome.

So can you help me? Must I use the Genome Browser in another way or
need I to enter the data with mysql?

Another question: If I use the Gene Sorter, will I find all matches in
all chromosomes for my keyword?

Best wishes,
Martin Garbe

Luvina Guruvadoo

Dec 4, 2014, 1:50:01 PM12/4/14
to Martin Garbe, gen...@soe.ucsc.edu
Hello Martin,

Thank you for your question. From the Gateway page (http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgGateway), choose your assembly and click the 'track search' button. Type in a search term and click 'search'. For a description of the track, click on the track name. To turn a track on, click the checkbox next to the track and then click 'view in browser'. For more information about using Track Search, please refer to this help page:http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/trackSearch.html.

If you are unfamiliar with the Genome Browser, we have a number of resources and tutorials to help get you started:
http://genome.ucsc.edu/training.html

To answer your question about the Gene Sorter, yes, your results will show matches in all chromosomes. Please see this help page for more information on how to use and understand the Gene Sorter display: http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/hgNearHelp.html.

If you have any further questions, please reply to gen...@soe.ucsc.edu. All messages sent to that address are archived on a publicly-accessible forum. If your question includes sensitive data, you may send it instead to genom...@soe.ucsc.edu.

- - -
Luvina Guruvadoo
UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group