Changing RP ID

hetin k

Dec 29, 2022, 1:35:34 AM12/29/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hi all,

For example, My initial org domain was "organization.uk" and we set rp id to "organization.uk"and now we move to "organization.com".

Is there any possible solution to use credential registered with rpid "organization.uk" in new domian "organization.com" ?

Tim Cappalli

Dec 29, 2022, 8:44:11 AM12/29/22
to hetin k, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
No. You'd need to create a new credential for the new RP ID.

For example, My initial org domain was "organization.uk" and we set rp id to "organization.uk"and now we move to "organization.com".

Is there any possible solution to use credential registered with rpid "organization.uk" in new domian "organization.com" ?

Emil Lundberg

Jan 10, 2023, 6:56:37 AM1/10/23
to Tim Cappalli, hetin k, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Some discussion around this came up recently in the WG meetings: https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1827#issuecomment-1352262450

There's no proposed solution yet, but the WG is aware of the issue.

Emil Lundberg

Software Engineer | Yubico