Do you have the same genuises...

Android SdkBlows

Nov 29, 2011, 12:48:30 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
writing this horrible programming language as the guys who slapped
together the Android SDK? If so, do humanity a favor and just stop
right now. Oh, if you could transfer them to the janitorial
department, that would be really great. YOU GUYS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO
CLUE HOW TO BUILD ANYTHING COHERENT. GIVE UP.

Jan

Nov 29, 2011, 1:22:54 PM11/29/11
to mi...@dartlang.org
Wow man, who stepped on your dick? Cheer up a little. We can talk about it. What's making you so angry about Dart?

Android SdkBlows

Nov 29, 2011, 1:38:02 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
Other than a search engine, has google EVER put out ANYTHING that
hasn't completely sucked? I've yet to see any evidence. So now you're
going to inflict a POS language on the world that a bunch of web
morons will adopt and perpetuate the endless cycle of shit. For
instance, developers ultimately communicate with databases via web
services, and you guys don't even have a native uuid type. So what,
people will have to roll their own? How effing stupid is that? Have
any of you actually programmed IN THE REAL WORLD???

Corey Thomasson

Nov 29, 2011, 1:52:31 PM11/29/11
to Android SdkBlows, General Dart Discussion
On 29 November 2011 13:38, Android SdkBlows <android...@gmail.com> wrote:
Other than a search engine, has google EVER put out ANYTHING that
hasn't completely sucked?

You sent this from a g(oogle)mail account, right?

I've yet to see any evidence. So now you're
going to inflict a POS language on the world that a bunch of web
morons will adopt and perpetuate the endless cycle of shit. For
instance, developers ultimately communicate with databases via web
services, and you guys don't even have a native uuid type. So what,
people will have to roll their own? How effing stupid is that? Have
any of you actually programmed IN THE REAL WORLD???

Yea, you'd think they would've just brought over the native uuid type from js.

In all seriousness, if you want to rant, go write on a blog (I here google offers a blogging service too). Mailing lists are for discussion. Have some constructive arguments? Solid proposals? Patches? Examples? Then fire away. If you just want to whine you're in the wrong place. I'd recommend a blog (or a mirror).

Bob Nystrom

Nov 29, 2011, 2:01:28 PM11/29/11
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Android SdkBlows <android...@gmail.com> wrote:
Other than a search engine, has google EVER put out ANYTHING that
hasn't completely sucked? I've yet to see any evidence. So now you're
going to inflict a POS language on the world that a bunch of web
morons will adopt and perpetuate the endless cycle of shit. For
instance, developers ultimately communicate with databases via web
services, and you guys don't even have a native uuid type.

Is this a feature request? If so, please file it in the bug tracker to make sure we don't lose track of it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "native" here. I'm not aware of any programming languages that have UUIDs as actual native types in the language specification. Most seem to just implement it in a library. What would making it a native type accomplish?

So what, people will have to roll their own? How effing stupid is that?

If UUIDs are important to you, the fastest path to getting something working is to implement it in your own library and point us to it. If it becomes something widely used, then that's good evidence that we should roll it into the standard library that comes with Dart. In the meantime, you'd have a UUID library that you can use and you aren't blocked waiting for us.

- bob

Android SdkBlows

Nov 29, 2011, 3:08:24 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
> If it becomes something widely used, then that's good evidence that we should
> roll it into the standard library that comes with Dart.

Are you delusional? You expect me to do volunteer work for a multi-
billion dollar corporation because you guys can't figure out how to
put together a decent class library? Here's a use case. If you've got
a copy of Visual Studio (I doubt it since you guys think that POS
Eclipse is anything but a stone age tool) point it at a web service,
and look at all the nice classes it builds for you automatically. One
of the things C# has built in is the Guid class, so boom, it doesn't
have to dumb down your client code to handle Guids as strings. So just
how do you guys build a solid ecosystem when you can't even figure out
the basics of a class library. As one of your own programmers said,
YOU ARE CLUELESS WHEN IT COMES TO BUILDING PLATFORMS.

Oh, and I love the concept of just adding a uuid when it has been
proven to be valuable. You haven't even reserved it as a keyword.
Typical google, just slap crap together and hope it sticks. The fact
that this hasn't even been addressed proves THE ENTIRE TEAM IS
STUNNINGLY CLUELESS. Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Ladislav Thon

Nov 29, 2011, 3:24:40 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
Swallowed a ton of useless technical stuff, since this really isn't related to Dart...

Android SdkBlows

Nov 29, 2011, 3:54:16 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
On Nov 29, 12:24 pm, Ladislav Thon <ladi...@gmail.com> wrote:>
Swallowed a ton of useless technical stuff, since this really isn't
related> to Dart...> > http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/madtabby66/Online/ObviousTrol...> >
LT

Apparently google is trolling itself then,

http://siliconfilter.com/google-engineer-google-is-a-prime-example-of-our-complete-failure-to-understand-platforms/

COMPLETE FAILURE TO UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

Iph

Nov 29, 2011, 4:43:36 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
You seem to be completely ignorant to the fundamental ideas behind
open source development and a programming language.

poltomb

Nov 29, 2011, 5:24:14 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
I have a question, if you hate Google products and services so much,
why don't you quit using them? It is not a necessity that you adopt
their products. It is not required that you are here. Why in the
world would you just come to bash the team? If you say VS is better,
and that this is a crappy programming language, then go use VS with at
"better" language and leave us alone? You obviously have some sort of
interest in this product, else you would have no reason to join the
conversation. If it is true that you are interested, but the project
is moving in a direction that you do not agree with, then you are in
the right place. Start a conversation. Propose a new feature. Hell,
make it yourself as an example, if you need to.

Coming here just to yell and rant will get nothing done. Constructive
criticism is how you get things done. Screaming at people and putting
them down does not make them look at your ideas more closely, or at
all. What it does is make people ignore what you are saying and focus
on how you are saying it.

If you don't like it, aren't going to use it, and have no vested
interest in Dart, I will gladly show you the door to help you leave
this room chock full of people who "HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE HOW TO
BUILD ANYTHING COHERENT".

nelson.silva

Nov 29, 2011, 6:00:37 PM11/29/11
to General Dart Discussion
Wow. Love these squizophrenic posts... boom! Out of nowhere...

I agree that Android SDK has had some problems maintaining consistency
across versions but it's a lot simpler when the hardware is yours. Of
course Windows mobile is a dream come true for developers :p
I agree that C# and F# are good languages...
I agree that their IDEs are good and they really make your job easier,
the problem is that it hides all the important details and most
developers don't understand what's happening. That's why they keep
having scalability problems, they're using a stateful web framework
for even the simplest sites. Wow, i just write my client code in
my .net language of choice and it works!
Sorry for keeping this discussion going but i had some free time and
was as amazed with the statements as with the arguments for c#: a guid
class and code generation from a wsdl, i was blind but now i see :p

Pimm Hogeling

Nov 29, 2011, 6:19:39 PM11/29/11
2011/11/29 Android SdkBlows <android...@gmail.com>

Typical google, just slap crap together and hope it sticks. The fact
that this hasn't even been addressed proves THE ENTIRE TEAM IS
STUNNINGLY CLUELESS. Ahahahahahahahahaha.
Thank you for your feedback. As you undoubtedly know, Dart can still be changed.

Your "stunningly clueless"-statement suggests that the team building Dart missed more than merely cooking the guid functionality into-the-language. Could you perhaps take a couple of minutes to list which functionalities are missing/poorly implemented? Perhaps such a list coming from an obvious expert as yourself might help the language become the most awesome thing we could all ever imagine. Let's hope it does!

Christian Grobmeier

Nov 30, 2011, 4:09:07 AM11/30/11
to General Dart Discussion
Fellow Dartongs,

please let us not feed this troll. Gmail has a wonderful "mute" button
for the conversation and if this doesn't help, there are even filters
for this e-mail address.

Cheers,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Rodrigo Moraes

Nov 30, 2011, 5:54:22 AM11/30/11
to General Dart Discussion
Hi,

On Nov 29, 4:38 pm, Android SdkBlows wrote:
> and you guys don't even have a native uuid type. So what,
> people will have to roll their own?

This is an interesting question. Dart translates to JavaScript, and I
believe that there's no way to generate real uuids in the JavaScript
used by browsers because they depend on operating system functions
that browsers can't access. Real uuids require high entropy which is
gathered from the computer environment, from what I know.

That said, the trick for client-side JavaScript is to generate pseudo-
random uuids using Math.random(). They are not real uuids but it is
what browsers can do.

What made me curious is if Dart will implement (or has it implemented
already?) libraries that can't be translated to client-side JavaScript
directly, like access to operating system properties (random or
pseudorandom number generators in this case). For server-side Dart,
this would make sense, but would these be special libraries flagged
are not-safe for client side or something?

Anyway, I hope this helps.
-- rodrigo

chrisbuckett

Nov 30, 2011, 7:50:00 AM11/30/11
to General Dart Discussion

On Nov 30, 3:09 am, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fellow Dartongs,

Dartongs - nice. Is that what we should call ourselves now :)

Bob Nystrom

Nov 30, 2011, 1:50:56 PM11/30/11
to Rodrigo Moraes, General Dart Discussion
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Rodrigo Moraes <rodrigo...@gmail.com> wrote:

What made me curious is if Dart will implement (or has it implemented
already?) libraries that can't be translated to client-side JavaScript
directly, like access to operating system properties (random or
pseudorandom number generators in this case). For server-side Dart,
this would make sense, but would these be special libraries flagged
are not-safe for client side or something?

The VM/server-side provides some classes and functions like File and Timer that aren't available in the browser. We have libraries that use them so, yes, we have some code that can't be compiled to JS. When you try to compile them to JS it won't find those names and it yells loudly at you. This isn't really a long-term plan so much as it is what-the-compiler-happens-to-do-now.

- bob