new Dart Editor build 3934

Daniel Rubel

Feb 6, 2012, 11:06:59 AM2/6/12
to General Dart Discussion
New Dart Editor build available ...

Highlights ... build 3934
  • Add preference for using SDK/Frog for JS codegen (downloaded separately for now)
  • Add support for launching Dartium (downloaded separately for now)
  • Simplified to one button launch
  • Code font preference added
  • Type refinement in code completion for local var
  • More code completion and compiler improvements
  • include support for dart:io library
  • Generate *.js rather than *.app.js

Full change log ...

Tutorial ...

domrein

Feb 6, 2012, 12:34:40 PM2/6/12
to General Dart Discussion
Where do we put the dart sdk so DartEditor can find it? (I'm on osx)

On Feb 6, 9:06 am, Daniel Rubel <danru...@google.com> wrote:
> New Dart Editor build available ...http://gsdview.appspot.com/dart-editor-archive-integration/latest/
>
> Highlights ... build 3934
>
>    - Add preference for using SDK/Frog for JS codegen (downloaded
>    separately for now)
>    - Add support for launching Dartium (downloaded separately for now)
>    - Simplified to one button launch
>    - Code font preference added
>    - Type refinement in code completion for local var
>    - More code completion and compiler improvements
>    - include support for dart:io library
>    - Generate *.js rather than *.app.js
>
> Full change log ...http://gsdview.appspot.com/dart-editor-archive-integration/latest/cha...
>
> Tutorial ...http://www.dartlang.org/docs/getting-started/editor/

Matt B

Feb 6, 2012, 12:52:10 PM2/6/12
to General Dart Discussion
Extract the Dart editor into its dart/ folder. Then extract the dart-
sdk and put that folder within the dart/ folder.

Ross Smith

Feb 7, 2012, 10:27:19 PM2/7/12
to General Dart Discussion
hi guys,

I am trying out the new build on Windows 7 x64. My application builds
fine with dartc but when I use frog I get the following error:

compiler exception: NullPointerException

myapp.js.dart exists w/ size 0, and when I click on the 'send
feedback' button it doesn't seem to have any log...

any ideas on how I can debug it further? note that my application
uses 2 libraries that I wrote.

in other strange news, if I build Sunflower first (successfully) and
then build myapp, I get a myapp.js.dart who's contents is
Sunflower :) so when I launch it it tries to get a context2d from a
nonexistent canvas tag in myapp.html :D

thanks!

Jordon Wing

Feb 7, 2012, 10:52:25 PM2/7/12
to General Dart Discussion
Am I the only one finding that this version won't save my files? It
works for a bit, but then all of a sudden hitting Ctrl+S does
absolutely nothing...

On Feb 6, 8:06 am, Daniel Rubel <danru...@google.com> wrote:
> New Dart Editor build available ...http://gsdview.appspot.com/dart-editor-archive-integration/latest/
>
> Highlights ... build 3934
>
>    - Add preference for using SDK/Frog for JS codegen (downloaded
>    separately for now)

Chris Buckett

Feb 8, 2012, 4:38:40 AM2/8/12
to Jordon Wing, General Dart Discussion
I find that when the editor stops saving files I need to kill dart.exe in process explorer.  That tends to cure it (although I do make sure I copy the file text)

As a general thing - it does seem that when I hit the save button (or Ctrl+S) which I do out of habit after nearly every edit, this invokes the builder before the save actually happens.  It would be good if we could be sure that the save happened so that even if the builder crashes, it saves the work.

Thanks,
Chris

Kasper Lund

Feb 8, 2012, 4:45:28 AM2/8/12
to Chris Buckett, Jordon Wing, General Dart Discussion
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Chris Buckett <chrisb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find that when the editor stops saving files I need to kill dart.exe in
> process explorer.  That tends to cure it (although I do make sure I copy the
> file text)

This is very useful feedback. We're planning on making the frog
integration simpler which may help alleviate this problem. Right now
the compiler runs as a background service (on top of dart.exe on
Windows) which means that if something goes wrong you may be stuck
with a lingering service process that doesn't really work anymore. As
a first step, we're planning on essentially restarting the service for
all compilations and use the compiler more as a command-line tool than
a service.

> As a general thing - it does seem that when I hit the save button (or
> Ctrl+S) which I do out of habit after nearly every edit, this invokes the
> builder before the save actually happens.  It would be good if we could be
> sure that the save happened so that even if the builder crashes, it saves
> the work.

Yeah -- people tend to assume that Ctrl+S actually saves their work.
We should fix this :-)

Cheers,
Kasper

Chris Buckett

Feb 8, 2012, 4:59:55 AM2/8/12
to Kasper Lund, General Dart Discussion
Thanks Kasper

I quite like that frog runs as a service.  What could be useful feature at some point in the future might be that we could start the "service" manually to monitor a project root, and have it build the contents to javascript when the .dart files change (so that we can use alt editors such as sublime).  (That's not to say that I don't like eclipse - I do).

Unresolved: where would the output from frog go in this case?

(A relatively simple alternative would be to build a standalone service that monitors the folder structure and invokes frog as a command line tool also - I seem to remember that there is something like this in RoR for running tests upon save)

Cheers,
Chris.

David Bernard

Feb 8, 2012, 8:21:54 AM2/8/12
to General Dart Discussion
Hi,

Why do you choose to provide DartEditor as a standalone application instead of (or side of) an Eclipse plugin ?
As an eclipse plugin, we could use additionnal plugin for the project (I like AnyEdit,...), more I imagine contribution would be easier.

Sorry if the question was already asked. I didn't find question or response.

/DavidB

Ross Smith

Feb 13, 2012, 7:08:43 PM2/13/12
to General Dart Discussion
FWIW I recreated my problem in a very basic program and uploaded it to
Issue 1653 which sounds similar:

https://code.google.com/p/dart/issues/detail?id=1653

thanks,
-Ross

Luke Church

Feb 14, 2012, 9:10:44 AM2/14/12
to David Bernard, General Dart Discussion
No trouble, it's a reasonable question.

Don't take my answer as final - not my call - but if we shipped as a plugin there would be limits to what it is that we could change and what we needed to support to be consistent.

The Dart Editor is intended to be a lighter weight tool, almost more like TextMate + Code completion, than like Eclipse which is of course a very very fully featured IDE.

This fits our current usability target of 'easy-as-possible-to-get-started'.

For example if you look at the number of items in the menus in the Editor and compare it to Eclipse. This matters a lot for people just starting to use a new language.

That was part of the thinking anyway - but yes - there is a tradeoff with contributing features that others have written for Eclipse.

Hope this helps make things clearer,

Luke

firen

Mar 9, 2012, 2:45:25 PM3/9/12
to General Dart Discussion
So you do not plan to release Eclipse plugin?

On Feb 14, 3:10 pm, Luke Church <lukechu...@google.com> wrote:
> No trouble, it's a reasonable question.
>
> Don't take my answer as final - not my call - but if we shipped as a plugin
> there would be limits to what it is that we could change and what we needed
> to support to be consistent.
>
> The Dart Editor is intended to be a lighter weight tool, almost more like
> TextMate + Code completion, than like Eclipse which is of course a very
> very fully featured IDE.
>
> This fits our current usability target of
> 'easy-as-possible-to-get-started'.
>
> For example if you look at the number of items in the menus in the Editor
> and compare it to Eclipse. This matters a lot for people just starting to
> use a new language.
>
> That was part of the thinking anyway - but yes - there is a tradeoff with
> contributing features that others have written for Eclipse.
>
> Hope this helps make things clearer,
>
> Luke

Daniel Rubel

Mar 9, 2012, 2:58:27 PM3/9/12