Garbled Audio After Latest Update

Will

Jan 13, 2011, 9:42:38 PM1/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Anybody having problems after the update to Chrome OS 0.9.128.14?
My CR-48 is making chirping and buzzing noise when playing audio now.
It does this using flash or a html player,doesn't matter what type of
audio file either.
Reported it through the bug icon and asked for a ninja too.
Should I try using the USB recovery method?,I tried reformatting by
using the dev switch and it didn't help.

Will

Jan 13, 2011, 10:01:11 PM1/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Never mind my post,a Ninja just emailed me and this is what he
replied...

Hi William,

I'm curious to know if the sound turns to a static like clicking
noise?
We have seen this common behavior in other Chrome Notebooks that are
on the latest ChromeOS update this week. Till next update is pushed a
reboot of the CR-48 should resolve the issue.

Matt Richards

Jan 13, 2011, 10:03:25 PM1/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Question to the Ninjas..
How come I don't see this update yet? Is there some bug with updates when selecting the developer channel?

--Matt

John Mora

Jan 14, 2011, 1:30:02 AM1/14/11
to wgree...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Will -

A few questions:

* Is your Cr-48 in Developer Mode (via the switch behind the battery)?
* In "About Chrome OS" are you subscribed to the Beta or Development channel?
* Do you have a Fish or Pony board? (Also under the battery.)
* Did you remove_rootfs_verification or make other modifications?

My Cr-48 is a Pony in Developer Mode, but is running 0.9.128.12. Checking for updates doesn't trigger an update.

Thanks.

John Mora

Jan 14, 2011, 1:49:08 AM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Has anyone in Developer Mode been pushed out the 0.9.128.14 update?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM, William Greene <wgree...@gmail.com> wrote:
* Is your Cr-48 in Developer Mode (via the switch behind the battery)? -  No

Will

Jan 14, 2011, 1:54:24 AM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
* Is your Cr-48 in Developer Mode (via the switch behind the battery)?
- No
* In "About Chrome OS" are you subscribed to the Beta or Development
channel? - Beta
* Do you have a Fish or Pony board? (Also under the battery.) - Pony
* Did you remove_rootfs_verification or make other modifications? - No

I updated manually by going into about Google Chrome OS and i switched
between Beta and Dev.
I seems that triggered it to update,it didn't auto update itself like
last time.
If I were you I'd leave in at 0.9.128.12 in till the next update.
Not worth the audio problem.

Steve Pirk

Jan 14, 2011, 3:22:15 AM1/14/11
to wgree...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
I too seemed to be able to trigger it when I changed from dev to beta in the ChromeOS settings menu. I have not gone into hardware dev mode yet, and check for updates did nada until I went back to beta in the version setting.

0.9.128.14 now, and not one tab crash yet. I am grinning again ;-]

--steve

Will

Jan 14, 2011, 11:20:22 AM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
No problems with audio?

Steve Pirk

Jan 14, 2011, 12:30:31 PM1/14/11
to wgree...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
I just verified it in the media player... sounds fine. I am back in beta mode as far as the interface goes.
[20 minutes later...]
Alrighty then. I just tried exfm and all audio is now garbled. Too funny. Rebooting to see if it indeed clears it. brb.
;-]

--steve

Steve Pirk

Jan 14, 2011, 12:44:03 PM1/14/11
to wgree...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Grrrr....Played ok for a couple minutes, then went and stayed garbled.
I will poke around and see if I can come up with anything.

--steve

kdoodles

Jan 14, 2011, 3:00:52 PM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I'm having that issue as well. When I'm watching a video, there is a
static noise that causes the video to glitch. There are times when the
entire audio becomes garbled, this new update is definitely the cause.

Matt Richards

Jan 14, 2011, 4:31:29 PM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Is the channel setting synced?

The reason I ask is, I attempted to switch between the developer and beta channel, yet I still did not get this update last night. I checked the system information screen and it claimed I was still opted in for the "developer channel". Even after a recovery from the .12 recovery image, I still have not gotten the update, and system info claims I'm still on the developer channel.

Any clues as to what is going on? I did submit feedback on this issue yesterday, however I do not expect any responses back.

--Matt

Todd Vierling

Jan 14, 2011, 4:36:57 PM1/14/11
to mric...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Matt Richards <mric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason I ask is, I attempted to switch between the developer and beta
> channel, yet I still did not get this update last night. I checked the
> system information screen and it claimed I was still opted in for the
> "developer channel". Even after a recovery from the .12 recovery image, I
> still have not gotten the update, and system info claims I'm still on the
> developer channel.

According to http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ the datestamps for the
browser version have rolled back to 12/xx/10. This leads me to believe
that the update pushed out on this past Wednesday has been rescinded.
So users who hadn't yet updated may not receive the update with the
buggy audio.

Matt Richards

Jan 14, 2011, 4:46:14 PM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Thanks for the information. I had an assumption they might have pulled the update due to the audio issues lurking. However I wanted some kind of confirmation.
--
--Matt

Benson Leung

Jan 14, 2011, 10:25:22 PM1/14/11
to mric...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Hello folks.

Thanks for helping to debug this issue. We have not pulled the update, but if anyone out there can reproduce this problem and are in developer mode, please send the output of the following command from the shell :

dmesg | grep -i clock

We are tracking an issue where a high resolution clock is not functioning in recent builds that is disrupting audio, among other things. Somehow this issue may have gotten into our beta and dev channel updates.

Benson

Benson Leung
Software Engineer, Chrom* OS

Deidre Elizabeth

Jan 14, 2011, 10:31:04 PM1/14/11
to ble...@chromium.org, mric...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
yeah hulu won't show video but i could embed it in yuku and play it, youtube is great except when embedded in yuku

Benson Leung

Jan 14, 2011, 10:42:36 PM1/14/11
to mric...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
FYI, if you want to follow the bug on this one, check here :

Matt Richards

Jan 14, 2011, 11:24:39 PM1/14/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Finally got the update tonight. Guess they must be staggered.
I'll see if I can reproduce the sound issues and assist with debugging.
--
--Matt

Starbuck

Jan 15, 2011, 12:32:56 AM1/15/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I just now got the OS update and all of a sudden I've got the sound
bug too. I'm looking into it as well...

On Jan 14, 10:24 pm, Matt Richards <mricha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally got the update tonight. Guess they must be staggered.
> I'll see if I can reproduce the sound issues and assist with debugging.
>

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Benson Leung <ble...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Hello folks.
>
> > Thanks for helping to debug this issue. We have not pulled the update, but
> > if anyone out there can reproduce this problem and are in developer mode,
> > please send the output of the following command from the shell :
>
> > dmesg | grep -i clock
>
> > We are tracking an issue where a high resolution clock is not functioning
> > in recent builds that is disrupting audio, among other things. Somehow this
> > issue may have gotten into our beta and dev channel updates.
>
> > Benson
>
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Matt Richards <mricha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for the information. I had an assumption they might have pulled the
> >> update due to the audio issues lurking. However I wanted some kind of
> >> confirmation.

> >> --
> >> --Matt

Starbuck

Jan 15, 2011, 12:59:16 AM1/15/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Here is the "dmesg | grep -i clock" output from 0.9.128.14 (Official
Build ede4cb9c) beta x86-mario and FISH

[0.000000] hpet clockevent registered
[0.734016] Switching to clocksource tsc
[0.800140] switching to clocksource hpet
[0.800844] Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode:
[0.800849] Clockevnets: could not switch to one-shot mode: lapic is
not functional

Tricky Trav

Jan 16, 2011, 1:27:00 AM1/16/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I am also getting the garbled audio issue after the update. If I
reboot it does temporarily fix the issue but it returns shortly after.

dtigue

Jan 16, 2011, 5:19:42 PM1/16/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I've Been able to stop the garbled sound by closing the lid on my
CR-48 for a few seconds
and then opening it back up. Make sure you first close the tab for
whatever site is causing
the sound first.

DarthN8erS

Jan 16, 2011, 10:04:54 PM1/16/11
to Chromium OS discuss
chronos@localhost / $ dmesg | grep -i clock
[ 0.000000] hpet clockevent registered
[ 0.740017] Switching to clocksource tsc
[ 0.804816] Switching to clocksource hpet
[ 0.805835] Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode:
[ 0.805842] Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode: lapic
is not functional.
[ 103.305630] Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode: lapic
is not functional.
[ 3558.088262] Clockevents: could not switch to one-shot mode: lapic
is not functional.

CqN

Jan 17, 2011, 7:59:58 PM1/17/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I have had my cr-48 switch near the battery in developer mode for over
a couple of weeks, and I did get auto updated to the 128.14 a couple
of days ago.

CqN

On Jan 13, 10:49 pm, John Mora <john.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone in Developer Mode been pushed out the 0.9.128.14 update?

CqN

Jan 17, 2011, 8:10:09 PM1/17/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Interesting! Does this mean it will roll us back if I reboot? I have
the very garbled, 0totally unintelligble audio now. Today was the
first time I used the audio in many days, it was fine before. Is
there a way to get the audio back? I have .flv long file I was going
to view on this machine (online video, instruction manaul) while I was
taking my regular notebook apart to fix the problem

Also one should be able to switch to the previous version, since the
update uses two sets of images in the flash alternating between them.
Has anybody verified this?

Once you revert to the previous, the next update to automatically
proceed, overwriting the newer bad 128.14 image, if the design is
correct. Again anybody has any first experience? I believe this is
the first auto update, after the cr-48 was distributed.

Cordially,
CqN

On Jan 14, 1:36 pm, Todd Vierling <t...@duh.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Matt Richards <mricha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The reason I ask is, I attempted to switch between the developer and beta
> > channel, yet I still did not get this update last night. I checked the
> > system information screen and it claimed I was still opted in for the
> > "developer channel". Even after a recovery from the .12 recovery image, I
> > still have not gotten the update, and system info claims I'm still on the
> > developer channel.
>
> According tohttp://omahaproxy.appspot.com/the datestamps for the

Todd Vierling

Jan 17, 2011, 8:16:41 PM1/17/11
to chacko...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM, CqN <chacko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> According tohttp://omahaproxy.appspot.com/the datestamps for the
>> browser version have rolled back to 12/xx/10. This leads me to believe
>> that the update pushed out on this past Wednesday has been rescinded.
>
> Interesting! Does this mean it will roll us back if I reboot?

I made a bad assumption. The update to .14 is still the currently
distributed beta channel version; this was corrected elsewhere in this
thread.

Benson Leung

Jan 18, 2011, 6:56:55 PM1/18/11
to trick...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Hi All,

We have identified the high resolution timer issue, and a patch will be pushed soon.

Thanks for your patience and help, everyone!
Benson

http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-os-discuss?hl=en

John Mora

Jan 18, 2011, 9:01:34 PM1/18/11
to ble...@chromium.org, trick...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Benson,

Thanks for the update. Keep up the great work!

- John

Jay Lee

Jan 18, 2011, 10:21:27 PM1/18/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Someone with the audio issues feel like being a guinea pig? I've scripted together a fix, it should do the same thing the official patch from Google will do which is to remove the nmi_watchdog=1 argument from the kernel boot command line.

If someone who can easily produce the garbled errors on their machine and who is capable and ready to do a USB recovery on their machine should this bork things could run:

wget -O - http://goo.gl/m67ww | sh -

the script should do the rest of the work for you of removing the argument and resigning the kernel partitions. Reboot and try to reproduce the issue, it should be gone.

Please let me know your results.

Jay

hardawayd

Feb 1, 2011, 12:08:30 PM2/1/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Benson,

Could you please provide where we can find the release schedule for
chromeos. Release schedules are customary in doing beta testing which
I have done for years with redhat and ubuntu but i can not find one
for this cr-48 beta test. There has only been one update in two
months that I can see and some of the mission critical features of
chromeos (printing on network printers and citrix) still do not work
even though I am using the Development version.

Thx,
Don

Chris Masone

Feb 1, 2011, 12:12:56 PM2/1/11
to don.ha...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM, hardawayd <don.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Benson,

Could you please provide where we can find the release schedule for
chromeos.

Just like the Chrome browser project, we do not publish release schedules.

Release schedules are customary in doing beta testing which
I have done for years with redhat and ubuntu but i can not find one
for this cr-48 beta test.  There has only been one update in two
months that I can see and some of the mission critical features of
chromeos (printing on network printers and citrix) still do not work
even though I am using the Development version.

There have been multiple updates to the dev channel since the new year.  We weren't pushing updates during the  holiday season, as most of us were on vacation.

Also, Cloud Print works right now.  The Citrix app was demoed at the launch event.

Chris Masone

Feb 1, 2011, 12:31:58 PM2/1/11
to Don Hardaway, Chromium OS discuss

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Don Hardaway <don.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chris--why doesn't my development version update then. I have read
that others were able to get an update.

Because we're not pushing the update at 100% yet. We seem to be pushing dev channel once a week, so I'm sure you'll get more updates soon.

 I just tried citrix yesterday
and it does not work on our university server.  How do i print to my
network printer that is attached to a router?

I am not your personal support ninja.  There's been lots of traffic on the list about cloud print.  It won't work with arbitrary network printers at this time.  For more information ask the rest of the community here.

thx,
don