Chrome OS Netflix Plugin release date

Kenny Strawn

Jun 9, 2011, 8:58:49 AM6/9/11
to Chromium OS discuss
It's June already. Back in May, at Google I/O, Google announced the release of a Netflix plugin sometime this month. So far, no go. When this month will it be released? I suspect that it will be some sort of packaged HTML5 app that can view Netflix videos, not a plugin per se, as a plugin that resembles M$ $i£ver£ight would more than likely be slammed with a patent (or copyright) infringement case from M$.

Dan Trevino

Jun 9, 2011, 9:05:20 AM6/9/11
to kenny....@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss

A more interesting question is will it be using vp8/webm?

Dan
--
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Open Standards

On Jun 9, 2011 8:59 AM, "Kenny Strawn" <kenny....@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's June already. Back in May, at Google I/O, Google announced the release of a Netflix plugin sometime this month. So far, no go. When this month will it be released? I suspect that it will be some sort of packaged HTML5 app that can view Netflix videos, not a plugin per se, as a plugin that resembles M$ $i£ver£ight would more than likely be slammed with a patent (or copyright) infringement case from M$.

James Jones

Jun 9, 2011, 11:32:51 AM6/9/11
to dantr...@gmail.com, kenny....@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Pls release. Do want!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Johnson

Jun 30, 2011, 3:59:58 AM6/30/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I just got my Samsung Gen 5 Chromebook and there is no netflix +1
disapoint And its July!!

Kenny Strawn

Jun 30, 2011, 6:03:30 PM6/30/11
to chromium-...@chromium.org

Apparently, the Netflix Plugin is there on the Samsung Chromebook — but you need to switch to the Dev Channel (Wrench -> About Chrome OS -> More Info -> Channel) to get it. Read this on the Chrome OS Lounge.

On Jun 9, 5:58 am, Kenny Strawn <kenny.str...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's June already. Back in May, a...

View archives, change email o...

Chris Masone

Jun 30, 2011, 6:26:42 PM6/30/11
to kenny....@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
Not to be pedantic, but that's not how "channels" work :-)

At any given time, there are three versions of Google Chrome OS that we support:
1) The bleeding-edge Dev version, which has the newest stuff, but we make relatively few guarantees about its stability.  Things might break.  We'll fix them, but it might be a week or two before you get the fix.
2) The Beta version, which adventurous users used for 6 weeks or so when it was the Dev version and found bugs that we then fixed.  Reasonably stable, but there might still be issues.
3) The Stable version, which baked in Dev for 6 weeks or so, and then as Beta for 6 weeks or so.  High QA bar for stability and reliability.

If you're on Stable Channel, it means that every 6 weeks or so, we'll ship you a new version that has been in the wild for about three months and received fixes and been QA'd.  If you're on Dev Channel, it means that you'll probably get an update every week or so, but it may be funky :-)

If you switch channels from Stable to one of the less stable channels, your device will download and install a new version of the OS.  So the Dev version (with the netflix plugin) isn't on there waiting for you to switch to it...but there is a version of the OS that we have made available which has the plugin, and you can opt-in to downloading and using it by switching to the Dev channel.

This version will percolate through the stabilization process in due time, receiving bug fixes and stability enhancements, so you may want to wait if slightly buggy software is a big problem for you :-)

rclar

Jun 30, 2011, 6:42:05 PM6/30/11
to cma...@chromium.org, kenny....@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
Ok, so I am on the dev channel, running Google Chrome 13.0.782.38 on a
cr-48; should I be able to instant watch my netflix, cause I receive
the device incompatibility message from them.

Gareth

Jul 1, 2011, 12:00:29 PM7/1/11
to Chromium OS discuss
something stupid is happening with the agreement between google and
netflix, so far it's only the samsung series 5 netbooks that are
getting netflix... im so mad
> > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Kenny Strawn <kenny.str...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Apparently, the Netflix Plugin is there on the Samsung Chromebook — but
> >> you need to switch to the Dev Channel (Wrench -> About Chrome OS -> More
> >> Info -> Channel) to get it. Read this on the Chrome OS Lounge.
>
> >> On Jun 30, 2011 1:00 AM, "Mike Johnson" <mr...@goosite.net> wrote:
>
> >> I just got my Samsung Gen 5 Chromebook and there is no netflix +1
> >> disapoint And its July!!

Ken Bartos

Jul 1, 2011, 12:12:54 PM7/1/11
to gare...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Although the plugin is showing on the Samsung in the latest dev builds I don't know of anyone successfully using Netflix on their system.  A few have tried but they where still told the browser is not compatible.

Mike Johnson

Jul 8, 2011, 2:47:48 PM7/8/11
to Chromium OS discuss

On Jul 1, 9:12 am, Ken Bartos <kenbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although the plugin is showing on the Samsung in the latest dev builds I
> don't know of anyone successfully using Netflix on their system.  A few have
> tried but they where still told the browser is not compatible.

It is not working yet even though the plugin is there. If you call
Netflix support I actually had one guy say "What is a Chromebook, is
that a PC?"

Rhys Kilian

Jul 28, 2011, 2:04:57 PM7/28/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Just got my Samsung Chromebook yesterday, and like the others, I am
sad there's still no Netflix support.

Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see if there is any more recent
information on the release date or if anyone has gotten it to work in
the Dev build...

Steve Pirk

Jul 28, 2011, 2:49:57 PM7/28/11
to rhysk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
This is what the plugin page on my Samsung Chromebook looks like. I am in hardware/software dev mode.

Netflix - Version: 0.6.1
Name:Netflix
Version:0.6.1
Location:/opt/google/chrome/pepper/netflixplugin.so
 Disable
MIME types:
MIME typeDescriptionFile extensions
application/x-ppapi-netflixNetflix 0.6.1

And when I try to watch a movie, I get this.

Dear Chromebook user,

Streaming is not currently supported on your device. We're working with Google to ensure that Chromebook users can instantly watch TV shows and movies from Netflix. More details will be announced in coming months.

Thanks Netflix. Fix your site already...

-- steve

Rhys Kilian

Jul 28, 2011, 2:57:55 PM7/28/11
to Chromium OS discuss
So I guess the ball is in Netflix's court . . . seems like Google has
their shit together for the most part?

Steve Pirk

Jul 28, 2011, 3:57:16 PM7/28/11
to rhysk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
From what I hear, Google is ready, but Netflix is still... ?

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:57, Rhys Kilian <rhysk...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I guess the ball is in Netflix's court . . . seems like Google has
their shit together for the most part?

Caleb Eggensperger

Jul 28, 2011, 4:23:42 PM7/28/11
to pirk...@gmail.com, rhysk...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Just because the plugin is in dev builds does not mean it's ready. They're probably testing it.
This conversation is locked