Got CR48 Today With Windows 7 Installed

Brent

Dec 29, 2010, 5:17:43 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I got my CR48 today and started it up only
to find it was running Windows 7 in what looks to be Japanese or
Chinese.

Can someone let me know what happened? There is no Chrome OS to be
found.

You can see pictures I took here after unboxing:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f99/t284626/

Junjun Mao

Dec 29, 2010, 6:40:04 PM12/29/10
to bamast...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Looks like you have a refurbished SSD in Cr-48.

Brent

Dec 29, 2010, 6:42:56 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
What does that mean, other than the obvious? Were they running tests
on it and never got around to installing Chrome OS on it?

Matt Richards

Dec 29, 2010, 6:48:15 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
For real? Wow... In the short term, are you able to enter recovery to install the OS?

--Matt

Brent

Dec 29, 2010, 6:53:13 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I do not have a Linux or Mac machine at the moment to do the recovery
steps. So I have a weird Windows 7 install CR48 in the mean time lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9JzYTP4xc That is video of it booting
up

On Dec 29, 5:48 pm, Matt Richards <mricha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For real? Wow... In the short term, are you able to enter recovery to
> install the OS?
>

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Brent <bamastang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What does that mean, other than the obvious? Were they running tests
> > on it and never got around to installing Chrome OS on it?
>
> > On Dec 29, 5:40 pm, Junjun Mao <j...@ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
> > > Looks like you have a refurbished SSD in Cr-48.

Deidre Elizabeth

Dec 29, 2010, 6:55:03 PM12/29/10
to mric...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
All i can say is "EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK A MOUSE!

Bryce D

Dec 29, 2010, 7:02:14 PM12/29/10
to bamast...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
You could use an Ubuntu live CD.

Brent

Dec 29, 2010, 7:16:31 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I need a Linux machine anyway. Installing Ubuntu now.

On Dec 29, 6:02 pm, Bryce D <cattr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could use an Ubuntu live CD.
>

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Brent <bamastang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do not have a Linux or Mac machine at the moment to do the recovery
> > steps. So I have a weird Windows 7 install CR48 in the mean time lol
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9JzYTP4xcThat is video of it booting

Beth

Dec 29, 2010, 7:23:14 PM12/29/10
to bamast...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
well it would be a perfect oppurtunity for you to install Chrome OS yourself it thats something you enjoy.  :D

Kind Regards,

Rosemarye E. Pizana

uberamd

Dec 29, 2010, 8:02:37 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Thats strange, I see a BIOS with an Intel logo, which my CR-48
certainly doesn't have.

On Dec 29, 6:53 pm, Brent <bamastang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not have a Linux or Mac machine at the moment to do the recovery
> steps. So I have a weird Windows 7 install CR48 in the mean time lol
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy9JzYTP4xcThat is video of it booting

Junjun Mao

Dec 29, 2010, 8:34:01 PM12/29/10
to bamast...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
I meant someone returned a SSD, previously used on a Windows computer,
to cr-48 manufacturer who probably produce other computers, and the
manufacturer mistakenly installed it on your cr-48.

It is also possible Google tested windows before sent it to you, but why
install a Chinese Windows then?

BigRedFed

Dec 29, 2010, 8:46:13 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
What I find interesting is how fast Windows 7 boots up!

Wei Hu

Dec 29, 2010, 8:52:34 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
It's Chinese.

rwmuller

Dec 29, 2010, 9:13:47 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Very strange. By my recollection most Win7 installs take up more than
16Gb, like a lot more. I think you have a keeper, not matter what OS
it boots.
It would be interesting to try to kick it to bios and boot from a USB
drive with Ubuntu or Chrome.
Good luck!

rwmuller

Dec 29, 2010, 9:15:05 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Imagine the guy who gets the bug report!

Matt Richards

Dec 29, 2010, 10:04:58 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Has to be a mistake of some kind from the manufacture. I don't think a Cr-48 can boot windows with its customized BIOS come to think of it.

--Matt

Allen B

Dec 29, 2010, 10:07:40 PM12/29/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Download the recovery image and burn it onto a USB drive.

Take a paper clip and press the recovery reset button on the underside
of the netbook near the VGA port.

Insert the USB and away you go.

http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/bin/answer.py?answer=1046510

defcon

Dec 30, 2010, 3:22:00 PM12/30/10
to Chromium OS discuss
wow thats crazy, I wonder if I could acronis image windows 7 to the
ssd and boot it up lol, if I was you i'd try to get a full dump of the
os to see how it was done

Damis648

Dec 30, 2010, 7:08:39 PM12/30/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Is there a way you could try and extract the BIOS, using something
like Everest? That BIOS looks useful...

Brent

Dec 31, 2010, 4:40:33 AM12/31/10
to Chromium OS discuss