TWAIN, XSANE...oh my! Any interest in scanner support?

Benjamin

May 13, 2011, 10:33:58 AM5/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
I'm anxious to give Chromium a try, but I need document scanner
support. There's just a bunch of data lying around on dead trees, that
needs to be digitized.

I'm having no luck figuring out how to plug in a scanner.

Any ideas, plans, prophecies to share?

Ben
Boy Wonder

Robert Ginda

May 13, 2011, 2:10:14 PM5/13/11
to benjamin...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
ChromeOS does not include scanner support. If you're going to be
building your own version of ChromiumOS, you could attempt to add in a
driver and application support.

Another option is a "portable" scanner. These tend to scan directly
to SD cards. I've seen at least one that includes an SD card reader
in the scanner, or you could pop the card out of the scanner and into
the Chrom(e|ium)OS device when the scans are done.

Rob.

Benjamin

May 13, 2011, 2:12:39 PM5/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to check those scanners out.

Could a chrome browser extension grab images from a TWAIN scanner?

Ben

On May 13, 2:10 pm, Robert Ginda <rgi...@chromium.org> wrote:
> ChromeOS does not include scanner support.  If you're going to be
> building your own version of ChromiumOS, you could attempt to add in a
> driver and application support.
>
> Another option is a "portable" scanner.  These tend to scan directly
> to SD cards.  I've seen at least one that includes an SD card reader
> in the scanner, or you could pop the card out of the scanner and into
> the Chrom(e|ium)OS device when the scans are done.
>
> Rob.
>

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Benjamin <benjamin.atkin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm anxious to give Chromium a try, but I need document scanner
> > support. There's just a bunch of data lying around on dead trees, that
> > needs to be digitized.
>
> > I'm having no luck figuring out how to plug in a scanner.
>
> > Any ideas, plans, prophecies to share?
>
> > Ben
> > Boy Wonder

Robert Ginda

May 13, 2011, 2:19:10 PM5/13/11
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Benjamin <benjamin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to check those scanners out.
>
> Could a chrome browser extension grab images from a TWAIN scanner?

No, not currently.

Rob.

> Ben
>
> On May 13, 2:10 pm, Robert Ginda <rgi...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> ChromeOS does not include scanner support.  If you're going to be
>> building your own version of ChromiumOS, you could attempt to add in a
>> driver and application support.
>>
>> Another option is a "portable" scanner.  These tend to scan directly
>> to SD cards.  I've seen at least one that includes an SD card reader
>> in the scanner, or you could pop the card out of the scanner and into
>> the Chrom(e|ium)OS device when the scans are done.
>>
>> Rob.
>>

>> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Benjamin <benjamin.atkin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm anxious to give Chromium a try, but I need document scanner
>> > support. There's just a bunch of data lying around on dead trees, that
>> > needs to be digitized.
>>
>> > I'm having no luck figuring out how to plug in a scanner.
>>
>> > Any ideas, plans, prophecies to share?
>>
>> > Ben
>> > Boy Wonder

Benjamin

May 13, 2011, 2:22:16 PM5/13/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Thanks for the information! -Ben

David Hendricks

May 20, 2011, 2:36:15 AM5/20/11
to rgi...@chromium.org, benjamin...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Robert Ginda <rgi...@chromium.org> wrote:
ChromeOS does not include scanner support.  If you're going to be
building your own version of ChromiumOS, you could attempt to add in a
driver and application support.

Another option is a "portable" scanner.  These tend to scan directly
to SD cards.  I've seen at least one that includes an SD card reader
in the scanner, or you could pop the card out of the scanner and into
the Chrom(e|ium)OS device when the scans are done.

Another option is a printer/scanner like the HP Photosmart series, which run for ~$100US. I have an HP C310 that has a web frontend and "ePrint" as HP calls it. So not only can I scan docs and download them to any machine on the network, but I can bask in the awesomeness that is Cloud Print :-)