SSH Client

Gooz

Dec 8, 2010, 12:16:40 AM12/8/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Hey, looking at this new Chrome OS. Will there be a way to make a
secure ssh connection on the go, my job requires access to the servers
everyone once in a while and I want to know if its possible?

Cheers Guys

owl.bowels

Dec 8, 2010, 10:29:49 AM12/8/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Not sure if it'll be the same in Chrome OS, but right now you can.

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + T
2. Type shell, hit Enter

I use openssh to connect to my Ubuntu box sometimes.

- OB

Caleb Eggensperger

Dec 8, 2010, 12:36:42 PM12/8/10
to owl.b...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
You could also look into http://code.google.com/p/shellinabox/ (might be down right now?) . It's a javascript/html based terminal emulator. I've used it with Chromium OS with great success.

Caleb Eggensperger
www.calebegg.com

Robert Ginda

Dec 8, 2010, 2:47:50 PM12/8/10
to owl.b...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
The "shell" command won't be enabled for Cr-48 devices (unless the
dev-mode switch is on), but you will still have access to the "ssh"
command.

Shell-in-a-box (as Caleb mentioned) is a cool way to do ssh in a
browser tab, if you have the means to host the server (and the access
to the server).

Rob.

Joern42

Dec 10, 2010, 12:18:19 AM12/10/10
to Chromium OS discuss
For that you know how to access the shell, I guess you own a CR48 or
Chrome OS.

Can you access the paket manager... emerge or whatever?

Matt Richards

Dec 10, 2010, 4:30:36 PM12/10/10
to Chromium OS discuss
I have a similar problem when considering migrating to Chrome OS. Much of my hobby work relys on me conencting via SSH using public/private keys to linux systems. I have yet to find a good web application solution for connecting to linux systems using key verfication.. One can argue, I can use the terminal on a Cr-48, but this would require me to be in development mode and it defeats the whole purpose of having a verified boot..

--Matt

J.M

Dec 22, 2010, 2:37:23 PM12/22/10
to Chromium OS discuss
You can open a terminal using CTRL+ALT+T.

Once in the terminal, you can ssh to another host using:

parameter
is optional and defaults to 22.

You can then ALT+TAB to switch between the terminals and browser. You
can select text within the terminal to copy, and middle-click to
paste.

Hope this helps.

Matt Richards

Dec 22, 2010, 5:09:01 PM12/22/10
to Chromium OS discuss
Still poses a problem when using key exchange based authentiaction ;-)

--Matt