./image_to_virtualbox.sh - Error: This script requires VBoxManage.

Christof Houben

Aug 23, 2010, 4:46:17 AM8/23/10
to Chromium OS dev
Hi guys

I've been trying to create a image for my virtualbox, but I don't seem
to succeed.
I managed to pass already some problems I had. But now I'm stuck.

When I use one of these commands, I get the "VBoxManage" error.

(cros-chroot) christof@christof-laptop ~/trunk/src/scripts $ ./
image_to_virtualbox.sh --from=../build/images/x86-generic/
0.8.67.2010_08_22_1500-a1 --to=~/trunk/src/scripts/mijnvmware/
Error: This script requires VBoxManage.

or

./image_to_vm.sh --format=virtualbox --from=../build/images/x86-
generic/0.8.67.2010_08_22_1500-a1 --to=~/trunk/src/scripts/mijnvmware/

I used this command for a previous problem: sudo emerge app-emulation/
qemu-softmmu.
I changed it to solve this problem, but it seems there are license
problems (I tried this one too "sudo emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-
bin").

(cros-chroot) christof@christof-laptop ~/trunk/src/scripts $ sudo
emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-ose
* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

*
* The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being
noticed.
* The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
* manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or
category at
* once.
*
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "~app-emulation/virtualbox-ose-
additions-3.0.12" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- app-emulation/virtualbox-ose-additions-3.0.12 (masked by: PUEL
license(s))
A copy of the 'PUEL' license is located at '/home/christof/trunk/src/
third_party/portage/licenses/PUEL'.

(dependency required by "app-emulation/virtualbox-
ose-3.0.12" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "app-emulation/virtualbox-ose" [argument])

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

Does anyone has an idea to get past the VBoxManage command?
I tried to change it already in "vboxmanage", but this didn't succeed
too.

Greetz
Christof

MichaelG

Aug 26, 2010, 2:30:21 AM8/26/10
to Chromium OS dev
Mr. Houben,
I ran into this issue myself tonight but I haven't had time to look
into it much further. I believe on problem is that you are building
the image from the chroot environment while it should be performed in
the system environment (just ubuntu). There you can simply do the
appropriate apt-get for the packages:

virtualbox-ose-qt
qemu-kv

However when you run the image_to_virtualbox.sh script you get another
error that its looking for the image_to_vmware.sh script. So it seems
it calls this script anyhow with just some parameters to specify the
output format. So I fixed this to image_to_vm and this ran until it
mounted the chroot and ran into another miss script:

-bash: /home/chromate/trunk/src/scripts/cros_make_image_bootable: No
such file or directory

That's where I got, I will look into it further tomorrow, hope this
helps in the meantime.

Regards,
-Michael G.

Chris Masone

Aug 26, 2010, 2:41:27 AM8/26/10
to MichaelG, Chromium OS dev
No, everything should be run in the chroot.  If you remake your chroot, it should install everything you need.

akshu agrawal

Aug 26, 2010, 5:54:10 AM8/26/10
to Chris Masone, MichaelG, Chromium OS dev
Hi All,

I also tried creating the virtualbox image in chroot environment after building the default x86 image but got the following error:

Creating final image
./image_to_vm.sh: line 231: VBoxManage: command not found
Hence, created the default qemu image and then used the following command (outside chroot environment) to convert it to a vmdk image

qemu-img convert -f raw chromiumos_qemu_image.bin -O vmdk chromiumos_image.vmdk

But the resultant image when loaded on virtualbox gives a blank screen.

Has anyone tried virtualbox successfully after bulding from new build setup?

I used the default  to build (./setup_board --board=x86-generic --default      ./build_packages      ./build_image)

Thanks and Regards,
Akshu

Will Drewry

Aug 26, 2010, 10:52:25 AM8/26/10
to akshu agrawal, MichaelG, Chris Masone, Chromium OS dev
I'm pretty sure you can add VBoxManage to your chroot using:

(chroot)$ sudo USE=-additions emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-ose

It'll pull in like 29-30 packages. (Ouch!)

Because of that and because we only use VirtualBox for one case in
image_to_vm in the chroot, we don't build it by default. If anyone
wants to send a patch to add a warning to image_to_vm letting people
know what to do, I'd be happy to review it :)

That said, if you have VBoxManage outside of your chroot, you can just
create a qemu image and run:
VBoxManage convertfromraw /path/to/chromiumos_qemu_image.bin
/path/to/the/place/you/want/it.vdi

hth,
will

MichaelG

Aug 26, 2010, 10:55:39 PM8/26/10
to Chromium OS dev
Hello,
Yes I am having the same issue with this image at the moment. I get a
blank blinking screen in both Virtualbox and a separate machine after
booting from USB. Makes me wonder if this happens to be a bad build. I
made this image today from the instructions specified at:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/building-chromium-os/using-cros_workon
Regards,
-Michael G.

On Aug 26, 5:54 am, akshu agrawal <akshu.chr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I also tried creating the virtualbox image in chroot environment after
> building the default x86 image but got the following error:
>
> Creating final image
> ./image_to_vm.sh: line 231: VBoxManage: command not found
> Hence, created the default qemu image and then used the following command
> (outside chroot environment) to convert it to a vmdk image
>
> qemu-img convert -f raw chromiumos_qemu_image.bin -O vmdk
> chromiumos_image.vmdk
>
> But the resultant image when loaded on virtualbox gives a blank screen.
>
> Has anyone tried virtualbox successfully after bulding from new build setup?
>
> I used the default  to build (./setup_board --board=x86-generic
> --default      ./build_packages      ./build_image)
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Akshu
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Chris Masone <cmas...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > No, everything should be run in the chroot.  If you remake your chroot, it
> > should install everything you need.

> >> View archives, change email options, or unsubscribe:
> >>http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-os-dev?hl=en

MichaelG

Aug 27, 2010, 1:30:15 AM8/27/10
to Chromium OS dev
Quick Followup,
I logged into the console and I looked through the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and found that I had some modules that failed to load. Here is the
quick synopsis of the logs errors.

Open ACPI failed (/var/runacpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
Failed to load module "vboxvideo"
No drivers available.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

I will see what further information I can find.
Regards,
-Michael

On Aug 26, 10:55 pm, MichaelG <vtmichaelg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Yes I am having the same issue with this image at the moment. I get a
> blank blinking screen in both Virtualbox and a separate machine after
> booting from USB. Makes me wonder if this happens to be a bad build. I
> made this image today from the instructions specified at:http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/building-chromium-os/using-cros_w...

Christof Houben

Aug 28, 2010, 4:07:16 AM8/28/10
to Chromium OS dev
Hi

I tried your solution:
"That said, if you have VBoxManage outside of your chroot, you can
just
create a qemu image and run:
VBoxManage convertfromraw /path/to/chromiumos_qemu_image.bin /
path/to/the/place/you/want/it.vdi "

Gave me a black screen too :)

I'll try the other possibility too (is installing right now).
Just takes somes time rebuilding everything..

Greetz

Christof Houben

Aug 28, 2010, 2:14:54 PM8/28/10
to Chromium OS dev
Hi

Just did every step again but I still get the error:
"Creating final image
./image_to_vm.sh: line 231: VBoxManage: command not found"
But I saw him do some installs after the command you provided (@Will
Drewry)

I didn't delete my chroot, so maybe that's the problem. (Is this
necessary?)
My virtual machine with ubuntu crashed too once (while creating the
image). I simple restarted the build_image procedure afterwards. There
came no errors up.
I won't be having time for a week to do further tests..

Greetz
Christof

Sriram

Oct 11, 2010, 3:40:22 PM10/11/10
to Chromium OS dev
Any updates on this thread ?

I tried make_chroot --replace and still get the cant find vboxmanage
error.
btw, the script inside image_to_virtualbox should be image_to_vm.sh
and not image_to_vmware.sh.

any one got to work either way?:

1) install vboxmanage inside chroot
(or)