IMPORTANT: The build system switch is starting now.

Ryan Cairns

Feb 17, 2010, 2:29:11 AM2/17/10
to chromiu...@chromium.org
We're finally ready to move. Starting tomorrow the default build system will be Portage and the old tools will start disappearing throughout the day. If you need help or have questions please speak up. We have an initial set of docs for building your own version of Chromium here and they'll be posted to the chromium.org site shortly.

Many people put in lots of long nights and weekends to make this work out, including, tedbo, msb, adlr, cmasone, bradnelson and robotboy. Thanks for all the hard work.

-Ryan

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Ryan Cairns <r...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hey Team,

We came to the conclusion that we should switch to using our new build system before the R5 release at this morning's team meeting. Our plan is to cut over within the next day, but before we do we need to fix the following issues. Speak up if you think anything is missing from this list.

  • We need an ebuild that builds chrome from the local source tree and includes it in the system image. (adlr)
  • The login screen is currently broken, possibly because of the switch to the Chrome login manager (TBD, please yell loudly if you are already looking at this problem)
  • We need to modify our testing infrastructure so tests can run on the new system images (rtc)

In addition, our Portage build isn't at parity with the existing system and we want to make sure we block as few people as possible. To that end Dave Moore has volunteered to be the guinea pig and will verify that Chrome/ChromeOS UI developers are still able to get their work done before we throw the switch. We'll also need help from everyone else to bring the system up. If you maintain a project (you wrote a debian package for it or maintain the code), please build an image with Portage and verify that your code is working correctly.

Here's a short list of known issues without owners that can be worked on right now. I'll link to a more complete list from the build instructions tomorrow.

  • sshfs doesn't compile
  • libcros is on the system image but is failing to load
  • pam_offline isn't on the system yet

Please let me know if you need any help or if you have suggestions on how to make the transition less painful.

-Ryan

Anton Staaf

Feb 17, 2010, 3:37:43 AM2/17/10
to Ryan Cairns, chromiu...@chromium.org
    And of coarse Ryan should be thanked for all of his hard work as well.

    Thank you,
        Anton

Greg Spencer

Feb 17, 2010, 3:16:31 PM2/17/10
to chromiu...@chromium.org
OK, with the portage build, how do I run the dev server? Is there a new "board" argument or something? At the moment, it fails to find the built images.

And when I fix get_latest_image.sh to have a board in the path, it gets served by the dev server, but the build has a problem with libcros.so loading, so the login is disabled when I boot.

Any help?

-Greg.

Greg Spencer

Feb 17, 2010, 3:41:17 PM2/17/10
to Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
OK, that's cool.  Looks like Brad just re-opened the tree!

Another question: Is there any way to build an individual package anymore? When I run make_pkg.sh in the window_manager dir, it appears to be missing the correct path to dpkg-buildpackage. Running scons there doesn't work anymore either (for similar reasons).

-Greg.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Sam Leffler <slef...@google.com> wrote:
The dev server is broken.  I've got changes pending to fix au at least but am blocked by broken build to commit.

-Sam

Chris Sosa

Feb 17, 2010, 3:44:09 PM2/17/10
to Greg Spencer, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
You have to emerge the specific package i.e. emerge-(your board name)
-a chromeos-base/chromeos-wm

-Sosa

--
Chris Sosa
Software Engineer

Ryan Cairns

Feb 17, 2010, 4:01:47 PM2/17/10
to Greg Spencer, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
The dev server needs to be updated and won't work with the new build for a few days.

Greg Spencer

Feb 17, 2010, 4:05:16 PM2/17/10
to Ryan Cairns, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
OK.  Anyone in MTV have a USB stick I can borrow for today?  I left mine at home...

-Greg.

Chris Sosa

Feb 17, 2010, 4:37:10 PM2/17/10
to Greg Spencer, Ryan Cairns, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
It should end up in /build/{your_board_name}/packages.

Chris Sosa

Feb 17, 2010, 4:38:23 PM2/17/10
to Greg Spencer, Ryan Cairns, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
Sorry I meant to add that it'll be in your chroot as opposed to the
old location ... so the full path will be something like
{path_to_your_chroot}/build/your_board_name/packages

-Sosa

Greg Spencer

Feb 17, 2010, 5:17:54 PM2/17/10
to Chris Sosa, Ryan Cairns, Sam Leffler, chromiu...@chromium.org
Cool, found it in a tar archive.  So I guess nothing besides images show up in ~/trunk/src/build anymore?

Also, how would I build a debug version of one package?  I used to just specify CCFLAGS to scons to build a debug version.

-Greg.
This conversation is locked