Live Video Streaming in HTML5 and Chrome?

Ralph Saunders

Feb 14, 2010, 12:00:48 PM2/14/10
to Chromium HTML5
With the recent rollout of streaming HTML5 video by Youtube and Vimeo
it has become apparent that the web is going to change a fair bit
quicker than one might previously of thought.

Looking at the HTML5 spec it seems the potential is there for live
video streaming in H.264 without the use of flash. A few questions
immediately spring to mind and this seems like a place to ask them....
Will chrome support this [live streaming without flash] in the future?
Is it supported already? Where can I find out more about it?

Thanks
Ralph.

Ernest Delgado

Feb 18, 2010, 5:40:09 PM2/18/10
to Chromium HTML5
Hi Ralph,
The only thing you can find in the HTML5 spec related with streaming
is the stream API
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#stream-api
But it's just an "idea; yet to be specified".
I am not sure if the plan is to eventually replace the RTSP protocol
There's no early implementation for that in Chrome either.

Ralph Saunders

Feb 20, 2010, 6:01:40 AM2/20/10
to Chromium HTML5
How long do you think it will take for them to implement something?