Programmatic Speech Input Start

yao

Jun 28, 2011, 2:07:36 PM6/28/11
to Chromium HTML5, joseph....@oracle.com
Hi Everyone,

Google Chrome currently supports speech recognition via voice input;
however users are forced to click a microphone icon to start listening
for each input. I'm trying to build a fully hand-free web app, which
only accept voice command. So I am wondering are there any plans to
allow the webpage to "start recording" without forcing the user to
click on a microphone icon each time?

When I checked Speech Input API (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/
public-xg-htmlspeech/2011Feb/att-0020/api-draft.html), I found that a
recording session could be initiated as the result of a call to
startSpeechInput(). But seems this abstract method has not been
implemented. Any one knows some similar methods to start a speech
input?

Appreciate any ideas and recommendations!

Regards
Yao

Satish Sampath

Jun 29, 2011, 4:38:42 AM6/29/11
to yao, Chromium HTML5, joseph....@oracle.com
Hi Yao,

Programmatic speech input start is not possible in Chromium or Google Chrome today. The HTML Speech Incubator Group is currently working on a draft proposal for the HTML Speech API which may include programmatic start of speech input. However due to security considerations that may also bring up a confirmation UI to the user and get their consent.

--
Cheers
Satish

Jordon Wii

Jun 29, 2011, 2:05:15 PM6/29/11
to Chromium HTML5
The use-case I think of when talking about speech input is something
like the voice control extensions for Chrome. Great idea, but the
user has to click on the extension popup and then on the speech input
button in order to give a command, which makes it terribly hard to
use.