Extension taken down

Robert Alten

Apr 8, 2011, 4:21:24 PM4/8/11
to Chromium-extensions
I am the developer of the Pandora extension for Chrome, a few days ago
my extension was taken down. I understand that the web store is not
the appropriate place for the extension but my concern is how to
advise my users on where to find updates, etc. Is there anything I can
do or are my users left in the dark?

HackBreaker

Apr 9, 2011, 1:27:32 PM4/9/11
to Chromium-extensions
That's odd. The Web Store hosts extensions as well as apps and themes.
What do you mean it was "not the appropriate place"?

As far as notifying your users, though... I can think of two
possibilities.

If the extension contained a link to a website that you have some
control over, you could put a notification there. You've probably
already thought of this, though.

Option 2: I literally concocted this scheme in my head just now. If
you could find out what the key of the extension is — the deployed
copy, what all of your users have installed — then this idea might
work. You could set the key of your extension (http://code.google.com/
chrome/extensions/manifest.html#key) to be that same key, and then set
the autoupdate URL (http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/
autoupdate.html) to point to a privately hosted version of the
extension. Then upload this new copy to the Web Store. If it doesn't
reject it for having these changes, it will host your extension in the
same place as before, which is where all of your users' update_URLs
point to. When they grab the new version with the new URL, it will
begin pointing to the new, privately hosted copy. Hopefully.

Abraham Williams

Apr 9, 2011, 2:03:07 PM4/9/11
to HackBreaker, Chromium-extensions
Last I checked the Web Store rejected extension uploads that contained a `update_url` setting. If you have a private key you can package a new version with your own `update_url` but users will have to manually download it. I don't think the Web Store supports exporting private keys yet so you would have to have generated it before uploading your initial version.

Abraham
-------------
Abraham Williams | Hacker Advocate | abrah.am
Just launched from Answerly: InboxQ for Chrome
@abraham | github.com/abraham | blog.abrah.am

HackBreaker

Apr 9, 2011, 2:13:50 PM4/9/11
to Chromium-extensions
Ah, that stinketh. Well, I'm all out of ideas, but it was fun while it
lasted.

Good luck to ye.

On Apr 9, 12:03 pm, Abraham Williams <4bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I checked the Web Store rejected extension uploads that contained a
> `update_url` setting. If you have a private key you can package a new
> version with your own `update_url` but users will have to manually download
> it. I don't think the Web Store supports exporting private keys yet so you
> would have to have generated it before uploading your initial version.
>
> Abraham
> > chromium-extensions+unsubscr...@chromium.org.

PhistucK

Apr 9, 2011, 2:15:32 PM4/9/11
to Robert Alten, Chromium-extensions
If you had "Chrome" within the name of the extension ("for Chrome"), that might be the reason.
Remove it and publish again.
It is not an inappropriate app for the store , I believe.

PhistucK

Robert Alten

Apr 9, 2011, 10:10:50 PM4/9/11
to Chromium-extensions
Pandora was the problem not Chrome unfortunately. I don't know if
removing all references to the word "Pandora" and taking out the logo
would constitute not infringing copyrights or not. I don't want to
cause more trouble by trying it without knowing ahead of time.

On Apr 9, 2:15 pm, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you had "Chrome" within the name of the extension ("for Chrome"), that
> might be the reason.
> Remove it and publish again.
> It is not an inappropriate app for the store , I believe.
>
> ☆*PhistucK*
>

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 23:21, Robert Alten <alte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am the developer of the Pandora extension for Chrome, a few days ago
> > my extension was taken down. I understand that the web store is not
> > the appropriate place for the extension but my concern is how to
> > advise my users on where to find updates, etc. Is there anything I can
> > do or are my users left in the dark?

PhistucK

Apr 10, 2011, 2:09:32 AM4/10/11
to Robert Alten, Chromium-extensions
Oh, well, I guess you are screwed, then. Sorry. I am pretty sure you cannot redirect users that installed your application from the web store to the new update URL, you will have to tell them to re-install the application from the other URL manually.

PhistucK

Robert Alten

Apr 20, 2011, 2:08:28 AM4/20/11
to Chromium-extensions
I have renamed and removed all trademark material, is there an average
on time for being re-approved?