Great Job, Thank You

MyrddinE

Oct 6, 2010, 10:38:05 PM10/6/10
to Chromium-discuss
I have an older laptop that I put Ubuntu on. My automatic choice for
browser was Firefox, and it was fine... but I use a lot of javascript
heavy pages, like Google Docs, and Firefox was straining under the
load on my old processor. So I looked into Chrome (my preferred
Windows browser), and found Chromium (which I had never tried). A
quick apt-get later and it was installed, and it ran far smoother than
I had anticipated. The improvement over Firefox, even for regular
pages, was marked; the improvement on Google Spreadsheets was
dramatic.

I'm just here to say thank you. Good job, I really appreciate the work
you've done behind the scenes for Chrome, and directly for me now in
Linux with Chromium.

Myrddin

PhistucK

Oct 7, 2010, 3:31:21 AM10/7/10
to myr...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Just make sure you (manually) update Chromium. It does not have an automatic update mechanism, so security risks can exist if you do not update your version every week or so.
Also, I hope you know it is much less stable than Google Chrome.

PhistucK

Pam Greene

Oct 7, 2010, 6:02:21 AM10/7/10
to phis...@gmail.com, myr...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Or switch to the regular Chrome for Linux, which does auto-update. This link will take you there:

- Pam

Stephen

Oct 7, 2010, 8:52:48 AM10/7/10
to p...@chromium.org, Chromium-discuss
When is Canary going to be available for Linux distributions?
Cheers,
Steve
My Social Profile @Google; http://bit.ly/ddD1gv

Myrddin Emrys

Oct 7, 2010, 9:37:43 AM10/7/10
to Pam Greene, phis...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I am aware of the difference between development and stable releases. :-) I wasn't aware that Chromium doesn't auto-update, but the auto-update features of Ubuntu itself should cover me in this particular case.

Oct 7, 2010, 9:40:03 AM10/7/10
to myr...@gmail.com, Pam Greene, phis...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
yes, auto update on ubuntu updates it afik ... you just need to set ubuntu to download updates everyday ;)

Greetings,
Dinsan

Sig Weber

Oct 7, 2010, 3:48:10 PM10/7/10
to Chromium-discuss
Since I am running Ubuntu 10.04 myself on one of my older computers
let me clear some of the dust here...

> Just make sure you (manually) update Chromium. It does not have an automatic
> update mechanism, so security risks can exist if you do not update your
> version every week or so.

Ubuntu includes Chromium in their repositories and they are releasing
regular updates in the same timeframe as Google does for Chrome.

> Also, I hope you know it is much less stable than Google Chrome.

That only holds true if you use the latest bleeding edge builds of
Chromium. Ubuntu includes the exactly same build versions of Chromium
as Google releases with Chrome.

> Or switch to the regular Chrome for Linux, which does auto-update.

You don't need to, see above. Ubuntu keeps Chromium up to date in
their own repository.

> yes, auto update on ubuntu updates it afik ... you just need to set ubuntu to download updates everyday ;)

Ubuntu does this out of the box.

PhistucK

Oct 7, 2010, 3:59:13 PM10/7/10
to siegf...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I keep forgetting about the fact that Linux distributions distribute Chromium as Chromium and not as something more distinguishable.
Thank you for reminding me.

PhistucK

Ben

Oct 7, 2010, 4:16:08 PM10/7/10
to phis...@gmail.com, siegf...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Yeah, Ubuntium would be much better. ;-)

(just kidding)

--
Ben

Bloom Free

Feb 6, 2019, 1:29:52 PM2/6/19
to Chromium-discuss
Thank you so much for appreciating Team Chromium,:).
We are really glad they did such a great job!!
Best Regards and Good Wishes,
Bloomfree.