Funny fact about browser randomization

JollyPaul

Apr 14, 2010, 5:12:35 AM4/14/10
to Chromium-discuss
Its not a bug report.

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm
versus
http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_pl.htm

On former randomization works after multi reloads, on latter it
doesnt.

PhistucK

Apr 14, 2010, 5:50:44 AM4/14/10
to pawel...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
If you open it in Internet Explorer, you will see that it also does not work there.

This is a problem with the page, there are extraneous quotes in the JavaScript -
new BrowserData(escape("Maxthon Browser"), '../Resources/Images/maxthon_logo.png',escape("37 rodzaje języków, narzędzi do tłumaczenia, etykiety, dotykowy ekran, wyłapywanie reklam. Dwukrotna nagroda w kategorii “Porównanie oraz Wybór"."), escape("http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166943"), escape("http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166944")),

Try to notify Microsoft - and do it quickly, or else... Internet Explorer will always be the first for Poland! :(

(Tip - if you have a Windows Live account, you can sign up to the Microsoft Connect website, to the IE Feedback section, submit a new bug, which says that it does not work on IE (do not mention it does not work on other browsers) and I guess it will be forwarded to the right team that deal with this page.)

How convenient for Microsoft to have a bug like this. :|

☆PhistucK

PhistucK

Apr 14, 2010, 7:06:02 AM4/14/10
to pawel kunio, Chromium-discuss
Here, vote\click "I can too" link.

Shame on them for not testing it.

☆PhistucK

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 13:14, pawel kunio <pawel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Lets say I feel too busy to notify ms on time. If You feel like it, please do.

And yes it is v. convinient. trying to notify few places before ms realizes,
its costly bug.

Regards,
pawel

Alexander Skwar

Apr 14, 2010, 7:11:21 AM4/14/10
to phis...@gmail.com, pawel kunio, Chromium-discuss
The page doesn't exist :(

--
Alexander

PhistucK

Apr 14, 2010, 7:16:41 AM4/14/10
to Alexander Skwar, pawel kunio, Chromium-discuss
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/550968/polish-browser-ballot-screen-does-not-randomize-the-browsers

You just do not have a permission to view it, because you have to have a Windows Live account and you have to sign up to Microsoft Connect or to sign up to the Internet Explorer Feedback section in order to view these issues.

☆PhistucK

Simon B.

Apr 15, 2010, 7:41:36 AM4/15/10
to Chromium-discuss
On Apr 14, 1:16 pm, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/550968/polish-brows...

> You just do not have a permission to view it, because you have to have a
> Windows Live account *and* you have to sign up to Microsoft Connect or to sign
> up<https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/SelfNomination.aspx?ProgramID=4792&p...>

> the Internet Explorer Feedback section in order to view these issues.
(Also, is the "I can too" button as small as it can be, or could it be
shrunk any further without disappearing?)

I tried contacting MS to find out how to file a bug report directly to
the browserchoice-team, but got no info, only the standard answer
"Please send an email to (countryname)@microsoft.com"

> >> Shame on them for not testing it.

Really true.

krtulmay

Apr 26, 2010, 7:04:29 PM4/26/10
to Chromium-discuss
Microsoft has promised a fix will be made available soon. An e-mailed
statement attributed to Jesse Verstraete, senior E.U. communications
manager, states "We were already aware of the issue, which applies
only to the Polish language version of the browser choice screen, and
we have the fix scheduled for next week."

http://www.google.com/search?q=We+were+already+aware+of+the+issue,+which+applies+only+to+the+Polish+language+version+of+the+browser+choice+screen

Simon B.

Apr 28, 2010, 3:38:51 AM4/28/10
to Chromium-discuss
Well, it's a one-character bugfix and they've received this per email,
per phone, per blogs etc. I guess it might get fixed next month.

On Apr 27, 1:04 am, krtulmay <krtul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Microsoft has promised a fix will be made available soon. An e-mailed
> statement attributed to Jesse Verstraete, senior E.U. communications
> manager, states "We were already aware of the issue, which applies
> only to the Polish language version of the browser choice screen, and
> we have the fix scheduled for next week."
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=We+were+already+aware+of+the+issue,+wh...
>
> On Apr 15, 4:41 am, "Simon B." <simon.boh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 14, 1:16 pm, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:>https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/550968/polish-brows...
>
> > > You just do not have a permission to view it, because you have to have a
> > > Windows Live account *and* you have to sign up to Microsoft Connect or to sign
> > > up<https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/SelfNomination.aspx?ProgramID=4792&p...>
> > > the Internet Explorer Feedback section in order to view these issues.
>
> > (Also, is the "I can too" button as small as it can be, or could it be
> > shrunk any further without disappearing?)
>
> > I tried contacting MS to find out how to file a bug report directly to
> > the browserchoice-team, but got no info, only the standard answer
> > "Please send an email to (countryname)@microsoft.com"

> > Really true.

krtulmay

Apr 28, 2010, 1:02:24 PM4/28/10
to Chromium-discuss
Actually, I think it is already fixed.

Simon B.

Apr 29, 2010, 4:38:59 AM4/29/10
to Chromium-discuss
Excellent, it is not fixed! Yesterday I tried reloading twice and got
IE8 on position one, but perhaps I was extremely unlucky or had it
cached or something.

PhistucK

Apr 29, 2010, 4:40:39 AM4/29/10
to simon....@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Were the other browsers at the exact same positions as well?
If so, it means it was not fixed. If not - it was fixed and you were just unlucky. :)

☆PhistucK

Simon B.

Apr 29, 2010, 5:03:46 AM4/29/10
to Chromium-discuss
Were the other browsers at the exact same positions as well?

Yes, I tried checking carefully, though only twice, about 34,5 hours
ago:
On Apr 28, 7:02 pm, krtulmay wrote: Actually, I think it is already
fixed.
> On Apr 28, 12:38 am, Simon B. wrote: ... I guess it might get fixed next month.

Also it is quite possible that I did normal reload instead of shift-
reload (using Chrome 4.1) so most likely it was fixed in the last ~34
hours, or that I'm suffering from bad webproxies somewhere, though
that has never happened before so also not too likely unless the
browserchoice-site uses some stubborn frontend caching servers.

On Apr 29, 10:40 am, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Were the other browsers at the exact same positions as well?
> If so, it means it was not fixed. If not - it was fixed and you were just
> unlucky. :)
>
> ☆PhistucK
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:38, Simon B. <simon.boh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Excellent, it is not fixed! Yesterday I tried reloading twice and got
> > IE8 on position one, but perhaps I was extremely unlucky or had it
> > cached or something.
>
> > On Apr 28, 7:02 pm, krtulmay <krtul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Actually, I think it is already fixed.

Simon B.

Apr 29, 2010, 5:05:44 AM4/29/10
to Chromium-discuss
Sorry everyone

"Excellent, it is not fixed!"

should've been

"Excellent, it is noW fixed!"

On Apr 29, 10:38 am, "Simon B." <simon.boh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent, it is not fixed! Yesterday I tried reloading twice and got
> IE8 on position one, but perhaps I was extremely unlucky or had it
> cached or something.

Alexander Skwar

Apr 29, 2010, 5:12:07 AM4/29/10
to simon....@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss