chrome browser dev edition vs. chromium browser...

mlongue1

Oct 11, 2010, 9:08:47 AM10/11/10
to Chromium-discuss
What is the difference between the 'Chrome browser dev edition' and
the 'Chromium browser' ?... I use the Chrome browser dev edition,
currently at version ' 7.0.544.0 dev ' , and I see the Chromium
Browser is at version ' 8.0.549.0 ' ... the Chrome browser dev
edition is working great, faster then greased lightning, and about the
only thing I really miss is the ability to work with mhtml files, that
is, to save and open mhtml files, as in IE... but other then that,
Chrome is super and it has the speed that ALL other browsers need...
so I would just like to know the difference between the 'Chrome
browser dev edition' and the 'Chromium browser'... anyway, thanks for
all your great work, please keep it up, and have a great day/week/
weekend...

Peter Beverloo

Oct 11, 2010, 9:16:24 AM10/11/10
to mlon...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
> --

There currently are five versions of the browsers based on Chromium:

Google Chrome (Stable): The most stable edition, intended for most users.
Google Chrome (Beta): Receives updates a few weeks in advance of the
stable versions.
Google Chrome (Dev): Intended for web-developers or people who like
new features. Updated about weekly.
Google Chrome (Canary): Receives a new build every few days, gets
close to nightlies. These won't be tested by humans.
Chromium (nightlies): Builds created from the tip-of-tree, the latest
source-code. These are created every few hours. Chromium can be really
unstable.

Basically, the more often your installation updates, the earlier you
get access to new features. The down-side of this is, however, that
your browser will also be less stable and possibly even unreliable. As
an example, people on the dev-channel recently lost their whole
icon-cache, where this won't be an issue for stable and beta users.

Google Chrome Stable is currently on version 6, Beta and Dev are on
version 7 and Canary and Chromium are on version 8.

Some more information is available on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Release_channels_and_updates

Kind regards,
Peter Beverloo

PhistucK

Oct 11, 2010, 9:23:08 AM10/11/10
to mlon...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Chromium is the developer build of Chrome, it is updated in a timely fashion (every few minutes during weekday daylight) and is not stable at all (it does not even guarantee to start up). It also lacks some features, like MP3\H264 playback, integrated Flash player\PDF reader and a few more features and the Google branding.
If you want to get the latest updates to Google Chrome, you can install the canary build (cannot be set as the default browser currently, it is installed side by side with the dev\beta\stable Chrome editions (not mandatory) -
It is (almost) guaranteed to start up and has gone through all of the automated testing. Its release frequency is a few times a week (but it is Windows only).

Also, if you are a Linux user, Chromium could be the one your distribution releases, which probably means it is somewhat stable (or totally stable).

PhistucK

mlongue1

Oct 11, 2010, 9:56:42 AM10/11/10
to Chromium-discuss
Thank you very much for the extremely quick help, Peter and
PhistucK... I use Chrome dev for just about all normal browsing now,
the the only things I need added are mhtml file capabilities and more
print capabilities, like print preview... but it works great, never
have a problem with it at all, actually has saved me some major
trouble lately, as I have been having bsod problems, and after
rebooting and restarting Chrome dev, it brings me right back to where
I was, even kept the half-typed post I was working on for this
thread... and it is so dang fast... makes you wonder why other things
can't be this good... hmmmmm... for now, I will stick with Chrome dev,
and maybe after I get this pc working better I will try the canary
build also... and going to put Chrome dev on a usb stick also, I see
they have it at Portable Files... so thanks again, and have a great
week!...
On Oct 11, 8:23 am, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chromium is the developer build of Chrome, it is updated in a timely fashion
> (every few minutes during weekday daylight) and is not stable at all (it
> does not even guarantee to start up). It also lacks some features, like
> MP3\H264 playback, integrated Flash player\PDF reader and a few more
> features and the Google branding.
> If you want to get the latest updates to Google Chrome, you can install the
> canary build (cannot be set as the default browser currently, it is
> installed side by side with the dev\beta\stable Chrome editions (not
> mandatory) -
> tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs
> It is (almost) guaranteed to start up and has gone through all of the *
> automated* testing. Its release frequency is a few times a week (but it is
> Windows only).
>
> Also, if you are a Linux user, Chromium could be the one your distribution
> releases, which probably means it is somewhat stable (or totally stable).
>
> ☆*PhistucK*
>

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 15:08, mlongue1 <mlong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the difference between the 'Chrome browser dev edition' and
> > the 'Chromium browser' ?... I use the Chrome browser dev edition,
> > currently at version  ' 7.0.544.0 dev ' , and I see the Chromium
> > Browser is at version ' 8.0.549.0 ' ...  the Chrome browser dev
> > edition is working great, faster then greased lightning, and about the
> > only thing I really miss is the ability to work with mhtml files, that
> > is, to save and open mhtml files, as in IE... but other then that,
> > Chrome is super and it has the speed that ALL other browsers need...
> > so I would just like to know the difference between the 'Chrome
> > browser dev edition' and the 'Chromium browser'... anyway, thanks for
> > all your great work, please keep it up, and have a great day/week/
> > weekend...

PhistucK

Oct 11, 2010, 10:06:10 AM10/11/10
to mlon...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Print preview is currently in development.
Search crbug.com for the things you need (MHTML and Print Preview). Both of them have filed issues there and you can star them to get updates and show support.

PhistucK