Some kind of automaticsm for Chromium update

Pierre

Aug 16, 2010, 2:18:50 AM8/16/10
to Chromium-discuss
Hello

Wouldn't it be possible having a mechanism for Chromium update ? As
for Chrome but adaptated to the case.

Going to latest index each day or from time to time, closing the
program, downloading, executing, waiting for the end of mini-installer
execution (an absolutely mude program in that case) is very boring.

Thanks

Chen Yong

Aug 16, 2010, 2:25:02 AM8/16/10
to chromium...@chromium.org
I use a simple updater script I wrote myself that is scheduled to run at night, which downloads and extracts the latest .zip archives and leaves me with a fresh Chromium build in the morning when I wake up.

If you're not too inclined to write one yourself, I'm fairly confident an online search should return a few for your OS of choice.

> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:18:50 -0700
> Subject: [chromium-discuss] Some kind of automaticsm for Chromium update
> From: pch...@gmail.com
> To: chromium...@chromium.org

PhistucK

Aug 16, 2010, 2:26:38 AM8/16/10
to pch...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
As far as I remember (seeing the cases from the issue tracker), they considered it and decided against it.
Instead, you can use the Canary build of Google Chrome. It is updated in a timely fashion (sometimes even more than three times a week).
It cannot be the default browser for now, but it will be fixed soon, as far as I know.

☆PhistucK

Pierre

Aug 16, 2010, 2:58:16 AM8/16/10
to Chromium-discuss
Thanks to both of you !

Chen : thks but the problem is : I don't know how to write programs of
this generation ! There are several programs which do it but I asked
for a build-in one.

Phistuck

OK and thks. Very interesting. A 3rd browser ?! What is the rythm of
its updates ? I'll install it and I'll do a feedback...

On Aug 16, 8:26 am, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I remember (seeing the cases from the issue tracker), they
> considered it and decided against it.
> Instead, you can use the Canary build of Google
> Chrome<http://tools.google.com/dlpage/chromesxs>.
> It is updated in a timely fashion (sometimes even more than three times a
> week).
> It cannot be the default browser for now, but it will be fixed soon, as far
> as I know.
>
> ☆PhistucK
>

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:18, Pierre <pcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello
>
> > Wouldn't it be possible having a mechanism for Chromium update ? As
> > for Chrome but adaptated to the case.
>
> > Going to latest index each day or from time to time, closing the
> > program, downloading, executing, waiting for the end of mini-installer
> > execution (an absolutely mude program in that case) is very boring.
>
> > Thanks

Peter Beverloo

Aug 16, 2010, 3:06:28 AM8/16/10
to pch...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss

>    http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-discuss

If you're interested in using Canary as your default browser, you
should star this issue[1] to stay informed about the ability to set it
as such.

Canary will be updated "more often than dev-channel releases" and no
human testing will be done, different from the other channels. This
closely approaches the idea of nightlies, even though they're branded
as Google Chrome (rather than Chromium, which the actual nightlies
are). I'm not sure of the actual rate of updating, as I've got an
automated nightly download-and-install script as well, but right now
it's running version 4.0.493, where the dev-release is version .490
and an actual nightly .496.

Regards,
Peter Beverloo

[1] http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=50117

Pierre

Aug 16, 2010, 3:21:28 AM8/16/10
to Chromium-discuss
Hello and thks

I installed Canary

I noticed the version was intermediary between Chromium and Chrome
dev.

The license is proprietary (the same as Chrome).

I didn't understand the difference with Chrome and I think, apart
from the version, there is no difference.

I seems it exists only in English (I'll makes progresses in
English !)

PhistucK

Aug 16, 2010, 4:10:40 AM8/16/10
to pch...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
The only difference between the Canary and the dev\beta\stable versions of Chrome is the amount of testing.
The dev\beta\stable are human tested before they are released.
The Canary build is updated once there is a green build (meaning, it passed all of the automatic tests).
Chromium, on the other hand, is not guaranteed to have passed all of the automatic tests.

Chromium has less features than Chrome, namely the internal Flash plugin, the upcoming internal PDF plugin, usage statistics reporting, automatic updates and some more - but has an open source license. Additionally, it is much less stable.

☆PhistucK

Pierre

Aug 16, 2010, 4:29:13 AM8/16/10
to Chromium-discuss
Phistuck :

Thks a lot for the clear explanation.

I had understand. I'd had noticed for the features. And that Canary
couldn't speak French lol

And... I maintain : a build-in beginning of automaticism for Chromium
update would be appreciated by me and, I guess, by many others !
External programs and extensions pretend to do it but they don't work
correctly.

Pierre

PhistucK

Aug 16, 2010, 4:34:19 AM8/16/10
to pch...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Are you sure its user interface cannot be set to be in French?
I guess the default is English, but I believe you can set it to French.
Go to the Wrench (to the right of the Omnibox\location bar)-->Options-->Under the Hood-->Change font and languages settings-->Languages-->Google Chrome language-->French - français and restart Chrome.

☆PhistucK

Pierre

Aug 16, 2010, 4:37:17 AM8/16/10
to Chromium-discuss
Yes, I apologize !!

On 16 août, 10:34, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure its user interface cannot be set to be in French?
> I guess the default is English, but I believe you can set it to French.
> Go to the Wrench (to the right of the Omnibox\location
> bar)-->Options-->Under the Hood-->Change font and languages
> settings-->Languages-->Google Chrome language-->French - *français and
> restart Chrome.*
> *
> *

Pierre

Aug 18, 2010, 2:01:00 AM8/18/10
to Chromium-discuss
Hello

Canary is explained here (it was not before)

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Chromium is not explained and some informations (versions) are
obsolete.