[chromium-dev] M5 UI changes moving to M6

Peter Kasting

Apr 19, 2010, 7:26:05 PM4/19/10
to Chromium-dev, Chromium-discuss
This is a heads-up: we are moving many of the UI changes originally planned for M5 into M6.  Among other things, changes to the omnibox, toolbar buttons, window shape, default theme color, new tab animation, autofill, and possibly other things are going to be postponed to M6 so we can spend more time testing, polishing and tweaking them.

We're in the process of temporarily reverting these changes and retargeting the associated bugs.  We expect to ship one or two Dev releases without these, to ensure we've gotten rid of everything we need to, and at that point the reverts will themselves be reverted (i.e. the trunk will regain all the changes, so we can continue to work on them), while the branch for M5 will continue on without them.

Consider this a forewarning, so you don't do the following:
* Ask why some bugs are being moved from M5 to M6
* Freak out when suddenly a lot of stuff reverts on trunk or Dev, and file bugs, only to have them be closed
* Believe that some change you hated has been killed, only to be disappointed when it relands later

Please don't debate whether particular things should or shouldn't be reverted, or ask for precise details on whether change X is going to be reverted, as the folks in charge of doing this are heads-down trying to make it happen as fast as possible, and this will just add noise that slows things down.  The best guide to what will be in M5 will probably be the next Beta channel release that gets shipped.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
PK

Peter Kasting

Apr 21, 2010, 9:21:50 PM4/21/10
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@google.com> wrote:
This is a heads-up: we are moving many of the UI changes originally planned for M5 into M6.  Among other things, changes to the omnibox, toolbar buttons, window shape, default theme color, new tab animation, autofill, and possibly other things are going to be postponed to M6 so we can spend more time testing, polishing and tweaking them.

We're in the process of temporarily reverting these changes and retargeting the associated bugs.

The revert has now landed on the trunk.  I encourage anyone who normally builds trunk to go ahead and test out our changes to ensure there's no unusual behavior.  If you find something that seems wrong, contact shess and/or me.

We will be landing the branch version to the 375 branch shortly.  This may destabilize the branch for 12 hours or so as both of us plan to go home after landing; we've already planned ahead with laforge to work with him and QA tomorrow to fix any problems that show up there, so if you sync and build the branch, consider this forewarning.

PK

Peter Kasting

Apr 21, 2010, 10:01:10 PM4/21/10
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@google.com> wrote:
The revert has now landed on the trunk.  I encourage anyone who normally builds trunk to go ahead and test out our changes to ensure there's no unusual behavior.  If you find something that seems wrong, contact shess and/or me.

I forgot to mention the future plans.

We intend to leave this on trunk long enough to (a) get some testing from developers building it and our build farm, and (b) allow us to shake out any issues on the branch (since if trunk is the same as branch it'll be easier to test and land fixes).  My hope is that we'll be ready to revert this revert on trunk, that is, to permanently return to the M6 code, some time this Friday.

PK

Scott Hess

Apr 21, 2010, 10:08:19 PM4/21/10
to pkas...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Chromium-discuss
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@google.com> wrote:
>> This is a heads-up: we are moving many of the UI changes originally
>> planned for M5 into M6.  Among other things, changes to the omnibox, toolbar
>> buttons, window shape, default theme color, new tab animation, autofill, and
>> possibly other things are going to be postponed to M6 so we can spend more
>> time testing, polishing and tweaking them.
>> We're in the process of temporarily reverting these changes and
>> retargeting the associated bugs.
>
> The revert has now landed on the trunk.  I encourage anyone who normally
> builds trunk to go ahead and test out our changes to ensure there's no
> unusual behavior.  If you find something that seems wrong, contact shess
> and/or me.
> We will be landing the branch version to the 375 branch shortly.  This may
> destabilize the branch for 12 hours or so as both of us plan to go home
> after landing; we've already planned ahead with laforge to work with him and
> QA tomorrow to fix any problems that show up there, so if you sync and build
> the branch, consider this forewarning.

And, before you flame: remember, we revert because we care.

---

The trunk CL:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=45267

The 375 branch CL:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=45275

The list of authors, in case you wonder if you should double-check if
we reverted something which will need more than a code-monkey's
attention to be correct on the branch:
19 pkas...@chromium.org
15 sh...@chromium.org
15 est...@chromium.org
10 s...@chromium.org
10 e...@chromium.org
5 gl...@chromium.org
3 w...@chromium.org
2 fin...@chromium.org
1 the...@chromium.org
1 rohi...@chromium.org
1 nsyl...@chromium.org
1 m...@chromium.org
1 ev...@chromium.org
If you do need to adjust something, best time to do it is on the trunk
on Thursday, then drover right over to the branch. Let me know so
that we can revert before we revert the revert on the trunk. [If you
wonder which specific svnid was yours, email me and I'll fish it out.]

-scott

PhistucK

Apr 22, 2010, 12:28:30 AM4/22/10
to sh...@google.com, pkas...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Chromium-discuss
This is so sad. :(

☆PhistucK

Peter Kasting

Apr 23, 2010, 4:56:51 PM4/23/10
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@google.com> wrote:
We intend to leave this on trunk long enough to (a) get some testing from developers building it and our build farm, and (b) allow us to shake out any issues on the branch (since if trunk is the same as branch it'll be easier to test and land fixes).  My hope is that we'll be ready to revert this revert on trunk, that is, to permanently return to the M6 code, some time this Friday.

As planned, we have now reverted the revert on trunk.  No more major changes around this topic are planned for trunk or branch.  The 375 branch will continue to stabilization for M5 without the changes, while the trunk will proceed towards M6 with the changes, along with whatever future reverts, tweaks, etc. we choose to make.

Thanks again for your patience.

PK

Erik Kay

Apr 23, 2010, 6:26:37 PM4/23/10