[PSA] Install/run two Google Chrome builds side by side

Huan Ren

Jul 22, 2010, 1:57:50 AM7/22/10
to chromium-dev
You can now install/run two Google Chrome builds side by side:

- Install one of Google Chrome stable/beta/dev releases as usual.
- Install Google Chrome canary build (Windows only for now) which will be installed to different path, get updated separately, and run side by side with existing stable/beta/dev installation.

In usual situation, the canary build will be same as dev build. Sometimes if necessary, we may push additional update on canary build so its version is higher than dev. This may happen in following possible scenarios:

- When a beta branch is cut and a dev build is released from the beta branch, we may release a canary build from trunk so we have user coverage for builds from trunk.
- When we need to release a risky dev build, we may push it to canary build first for test.

If you are doing development/test for chromium project or interesting in getting involved, we recommend you install Google Chrome canary build and use it on daily basis. It helps you keep track of activities from both trunk and release branches. You can get Google Chrome canary build from:

You can click the above download link and start installation without exiting your current running Chrome, regardless which channel it is on. Once done, the installer will install Google Chrome canary build to a separate directory with different default user profile, short cuts, and icons, i.e. everything should be separate from existing Google Chrome installation.

Huan

Mark Larson (Google)

Jul 22, 2010, 2:33:33 AM7/22/10
to hu...@google.com, chromium-dev
+10

I've been running Canary and Beta side by side on Windows (note: Canary is Windows only right now), and I've found it very useful.

The canary usually updates more frequently than the Dev channel (higher risk of bustage), and we're working on making it update as often as we have successful nightly builds. When something doesn't work on the canary, I can just fall back to my Beta Google Chrome.

I recommend it for anyone who wants to help test the latest Chrome features. The data we get back from canary users --especially crash statistics-- helps us find and fix regressions faster.

--Mark

Darin Fisher

Jul 22, 2010, 3:03:49 AM7/22/10
to hu...@google.com, chromium-dev
Most excellent!!!

One question:  Why can't I make this be my default browser?

-Darin

Cakalaky

Jul 26, 2010, 11:06:53 AM7/26/10
to Chromium-dev
I have the Canary build installed. I am looking forward to help
continue testing Chrome. I've been testing with the Dev channel. Is
there a list of updates/fixes that are included in the daily builds?
ie: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/ for the dev, beta and
stable channels. Thanks.

Peter Kasting

Jul 26, 2010, 1:46:13 PM7/26/10
to jeremye...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Cakalaky <jeremye...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the Canary build installed. I am looking forward to help
continue testing Chrome. I've been testing with the Dev channel. Is
there a list of updates/fixes that are included in the daily builds?

No.

The Mozillazine folks maintained a forum for the Fx nightlies that would have a new thread for each nightly, listing the changes, fixed issues, outstanding bugs, etc.  This was all done by community members.  It'd be great to have something similar for Chrome, if there are people out there who are passionate about this.  You don't even need commit access to help.

PK

John Munro

Jul 26, 2010, 2:22:26 PM7/26/10
to Chromium-dev
> The Mozillazine folks maintained a forum for the Fx nightlies that would
> have a new thread for each nightly, listing the changes, fixed issues,
> outstanding bugs, etc.  This was all done by community members.  It'd be
> great to have something similar for Chrome, if there are people out there
> who are passionate about this.  You don't even need commit access to help.

I'd be interested in participating in something like this

Peter Kasting

Jul 26, 2010, 2:46:38 PM7/26/10
to ghos...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
The Google employees working on Chrome are unlikely to take the lead in organizing this, so I encourage you (and anyone else interested) to just go ahead and make it happen.

PK

Huan Ren

Jul 27, 2010, 6:26:04 PM7/27/10
to chromium-dev, Darin Fisher
FYI The canary build has just been updated to 6.0.477.0.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
Most excellent!!!

One question:  Why can't I make this be my default browser?

Setting as default browser has not been implemented. (Issue 50117)

Huan Ren

John Munro

Jul 28, 2010, 10:06:09 AM7/28/10
to Chromium-dev
So just to give me some basic direction - in order to do something
like the Mozillazine forum for the Fx nightlies, for each Canary
version I would get a list of the issues resolved? Or the revisions
in that version? Where would I get that from?

Peter Kasting

Jul 28, 2010, 2:32:56 PM7/28/10
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM, John Munro <ghos...@gmail.com> wrote:
So just to give me some basic direction - in order to do something
like the Mozillazine forum for the Fx nightlies, for each Canary
version I would get a list of the issues resolved?  Or the revisions
in that version?  Where would I get that from?

The svn log.  "svn log" in the root of a checkout will spit out the entire commit history for the repository in reverse chronological order.  You can use -l <limit> to print only a certain number of entries.

PK

Anthony LaForge

Jul 28, 2010, 3:08:56 PM7/28/10
to pkas...@google.com, ghos...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I'll add something to omahaproxy shortly.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Laforge
Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, CA

protoiyer

Jul 28, 2010, 3:37:15 PM7/28/10
to Chromium-dev
Do we have the release log for canary builds? Or we are to check the
Chromium release logs for the corresponding version?

Also, please enable the option to make canary the default browser. I
wouldn't mind taking the risk of using a potentially unstable browser
for online shopping :).

On Jul 29, 12:08 am, Anthony LaForge <lafo...@google.com> wrote:
> I'll add something to omahaproxy shortly.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Anthony Laforge
> Technical Program Manager
> Mountain View, CA
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM, John Munro <ghost...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> So just to give me some basic direction - in order to do something
> >> like the Mozillazine forum for the Fx nightlies, for each Canary
> >> version I would get a list of the issues resolved?  Or the revisions
> >> in that version?  Where would I get that from?
>
> > The svn log.  "svn log" in the root of a checkout will spit out the entire
> > commit history for the repository in reverse chronological order.  You can
> > use -l <limit> to print only a certain number of entries.
>
> > PK

Hdr.

Jul 28, 2010, 4:29:31 PM7/28/10
to Chromium-dev
It seems that for some reason the optional features like --enable-apps
or --enable-webgl are not working with the canary build, is there a
reason for that or am I doing something wrong?

Anthony LaForge

Jul 28, 2010, 5:36:31 PM7/28/10
to pkas...@google.com, ghos...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Added a new /cl tool to omahaproxy, it gives you a delta between the current and previous release for a given os/channel pair (looking up the version, revision, and then redirecting to our CL tool).  As one might expect, the url takes two parameters, os and channel.

Appropriate values for os = {win,mac,linux,cf,cros}
Appropriate values for channel = {dev,beta,stable,canary}

Quick examples:
So if you wanted the deltas on the current windows canary channel: http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/cl?os=win&channel=canary
So if you wanted the deltas on the current mac beta channel: http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/cl?os=mac&channel=beta

Kind Regards,

Anthony Laforge
Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, CA

Peter Kasting

Jul 28, 2010, 5:40:49 PM7/28/10
to Anthony LaForge, ghos...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Anthony LaForge <laf...@google.com> wrote:
So if you wanted the deltas on the current windows canary channel: http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/cl?os=win&channel=canary

Nice.  Another good part is that the redirect changes the URL to one that can be copied and pasted for permanent access to that particular changeset.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to publicize or discuss what changes are going into each release.

PK

John Munro

Sep 1, 2010, 11:12:55 AM9/1/10
to Chromium-dev
http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/cl?os=win&channel=canary has stopped
working - it says:

Error: Could not find revision for 7.0.511.0 not set