Conversion to TopSites

Nik Shkrob

Jul 8, 2010, 12:42:31 PM7/8/10
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi all,

we are replacing the Thumbnails database with TopSites. This saves
some disk space, since the old Thumbnails system stored a thumbnail
for every page ever visited. TopSites only stores 20 top thumbnails.
It also makes the thumbnails system faster, because the TopSites
object serves as a cache and reduces the number of messages sent
between threads to get the thumbnails.

Also, the Thumbnails database file is renamed to Favicons, since it
only stores favicons now.

Currently, this code is behind the '--top-sites' flag. Please run
Chromium with the '--top-sites' flag to test this for any issues.

Thanks,

Nik

Nik Shkrob

Aug 19, 2010, 1:23:07 PM8/19/10
to chromi...@chromium.org
Last week, the TopSites thumbnail system has been enabled by default: http://crrev.com/55610. Please look out for any regressions that could have been caused by this.

Nik

Mike Pinkerton

Aug 19, 2010, 5:43:06 PM8/19/10
to nsh...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org
Is it a bug or a feature that existing thumbnails appear broken when
running a new build for the first time? Is there a migration strategy
for existing thumbnails?

This is going to confuse people when we roll out 7.0.

> --

Mike Pinkerton
Mac Weenie
pink...@google.com

Nik Shkrob

Aug 19, 2010, 5:51:00 PM8/19/10
to Mike Pinkerton, chromi...@chromium.org
There is a bug I'm looking at right now: http://crbug.com/52621 (not really a dupe of 52148, will soon be unmarked accordingly).

Migration should happen without the loss of thumbnails after this is fixed.