Chrome remote desktop access

Sankar P

Oct 8, 2011, 6:09:21 AM10/8/11
to Chromium-dev
Hi,

I recently saw an extension from google for accessing remote desktops
within intranet by chromium team -
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp#

Can someone let us know what is the protocol (and library) used here ?

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com

Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam

Oct 8, 2011, 11:33:43 AM10/8/11
to sankar.c...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
The protocol is something we designed and based on several google technologies:

1. Bottom layer is p2p connection established by libjingle, this can be udp, tcp or relay through google.
2. We use PseudoTcp implementation in libjingle to provide reliable connection.
3. On top of that is SSL connection.
4. protobuf is used for structured data and framing.
5. Graphics is encoded using VP8.

Alpha

Sankar P

Oct 8, 2011, 11:45:52 AM10/8/11
to Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam, Chromium-dev
ah okay. thanks. Is there a RFC (or some page) where this is
documented in detail ?

Sergey Ulanov

Oct 8, 2011, 2:37:44 PM10/8/11
to sankar.c...@gmail.com, Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam, Chromium-dev
On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Sankar P <sankar.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
ah okay. thanks. Is there a RFC (or some page) where this is
documented in detail ?

No, there is no spec for the protocol yet, but we will probably publish something as the protocol matures. The implementation is open-source, sources are in chromium SVN: http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/remoting/

Sankar P

Oct 9, 2011, 1:25:19 AM10/9/11
to Sergey Ulanov, Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam, Chromium-dev
On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Sergey Ulanov <ser...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Sankar P <sankar.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ah okay. thanks. Is there a RFC (or some page) where this is
>> documented in detail ?
>
> No, there is no spec for the protocol yet, but we will probably publish
> something as the protocol matures. The implementation is open-source,
> sources are in chromium SVN:
> http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/remoting/

Thanks. I will have a look. I will try to implement this for telepathy
(if time permits) so that we can access a remote chrome browser from
any telepathy client and not just another instance of chrome.

On an unrelated side note, I am tempted to ask those who complained
nothing except core-browsing should be included when I proposed
telepathy integration :-) However, I understand the rationale behind
this feature and will keep quiet :)

Sankar

PhistucK

Oct 9, 2011, 2:50:38 AM10/9/11
to sankar.c...@gmail.com, Sergey Ulanov, Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam, Chromium-dev
This is not part of the core browser, as you can see, it is an extension.
It is part of the code base for convenience and due to base dependencies, I guess.

PhistucK

Sergey Ulanov

Oct 9, 2011, 2:45:59 PM10/9/11
to PhistucK, sankar.c...@gmail.com, Alpha (Hin-Chung) Lam, Chromium-dev
On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM, PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is not part of the core browser, as you can see, it is an extension.
It is part of the code base for convenience and due to base dependencies, I guess.

Currently the client code is a pepper plugin built into the browser (host is a separate NPAPI plugin). Our long-term plan is to separate this code from the browser and move it to a separate NaCl plugin installed as part of the web app, but this is contingent on implementation of some networking API for NaCl.