HTML5 FileSystem and File Writer API retired: What should we think?

Lunix Watt

May 12, 2014, 9:48:50 AM5/12/14
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi,
As I wanted to create a Chrome App who uses the FileSystem API, I wanted to learn more about it. I don’t like much tutorials, so I tried to find the specification.
But, since April 24, 2014, the spec of FileSystem and of File Writer is retired. After some research, I found on the list that the Googler who edits the specification requested its retirement because the specification was not modified since April 17, 2012. (source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014AprJun/0010.html)

As Apps builder we’re all heavy users of FileSystem and File Writer API. So, what should we think? Where can we find the reference specification, now? Should we simply use the old specification links, before retirement? Are we building our Chrome Apps on something that will be deleted soon?

Links:
FileSystem API or File API: Directories and System — http://www.w3.org/TR/file-system-api/
File Writer API or File API: Writer — http://www.w3.org/TR/file-writer-api/
Old available spec of FileSystem API or File API: Directories and System — http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-file-system-api-20120417/
Old availanle spec of File Writer API or File API: Writer — http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-file-writer-api-20120417/

I must admit that I’m worried.
Thanks for reading this post.

Ben Wells

May 12, 2014, 6:54:35 PM5/12/14
to Lunix Watt, Chromium Apps
Thanks for pointing it out and asking. I'll try and get a clear answer for this. For now, I wouldn't be too worried.

Ben Wells

May 13, 2014, 12:22:44 AM5/13/14
to Lunix Watt, er...@chromium.org, Chromium Apps
+ericu, aka Mr File System

The file system API has been retired but that is only from a standardization perspective. It is clear the current form of the spec won't be standardized so it won't be pursued. Other browser vendors are looking at alternatives, and there may be some alternative file system kind of API that can be standardized in future.

In the meantime, we need a file system API like this within Chrome. Apps use it, and we use it internally as well. We'll be keeping the existing API.

When / if some alternative gets standardized we'll think about what to do with the current APIs. I imagine the worst case is that we'd make a polyfill available and inject it automatically when apps needed. Breaking apps is something we'd avoid at all costs.

Lunix Watt

May 14, 2014, 10:07:04 AM5/14/14
to chromi...@chromium.org, Lunix Watt, er...@chromium.org
Hello,
Thanks for these information and how quickly you replied! I did not expect a such quick reply. :)
Now I feel reassured ;)
If Mr File System can reply why the current form won’t be standardized, I’m interested, but only because computer science is also a passion to me. I will say if this retirement is sad only after I really used this API :p
So the remaining questions are:
  1. Where can we find the specification? The W3C old link is nice for some time, I will use it in the meantime, but I think it’s nice to host it somewhere for middle‐term.
  2. Where can we send feedback about these APIs? I know Google always listen to feedback, and sometimes you need some changes to make your beautiful Chrome App working nicely or more simple to code.
Have a nice day, programmers!

PhistucK

May 14, 2014, 1:21:00 PM5/14/14
to Lunix Watt, Chromium Apps
Just a quick note regarding the FileWriter API specifically - it was never implemented in Chrome, as far as I know.

PhistucK

Lunix Watt

May 14, 2014, 3:39:23 PM5/14/14
to chromi...@chromium.org, Lunix Watt
Hi,
This is impossible: FileEntry.createWriter give a FileWriter, and the spec clearly states:
FileWriter and FileWriterSync are defined in the FileWriter specification [FILE-WRITER-ED].
(source: http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-file-system-api-20120417/#terminology)

So File: Writer API is implemented, otherwise we couldn’t write files at all.
The ironic thing about this story is that File API is on standard track, but not its write counterpart.
Also, http://www.chromestatus.com/features/5963201313243136 states that File: Writer API is synchronous, but it is not.

PhistucK

May 14, 2014, 4:23:21 PM5/14/14
to Lunix Watt, Chromium Apps
Sorry! I was mistakenly looking for a constructor. Ignore me!

PhistucK

Ben Wells

May 15, 2014, 7:21:35 PM5/15/14
to Lunix Watt, Chromium Apps, er...@chromium.org
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Lunix Watt <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for these information and how quickly you replied! I did not expect a such quick reply. :)
Now I feel reassured ;)

Good to hear :)

If Mr File System can reply why the current form won’t be standardized, I’m interested, but only because computer science is also a passion to me. I will say if this retirement is sad only after I really used this API :p
So the remaining questions are:
  1. Where can we find the specification? The W3C old link is nice for some time, I will use it in the meantime, but I think it’s nice to host it somewhere for middle‐term.
Ideally we'd document it on the chrome apps documentation site, but it might take some time to organize.

  1. Where can we send feedback about these APIs? I know Google always listen to feedback, and sometimes you need some changes to make your beautiful Chrome App working nicely or more simple to code.
The best place to ask questions about APIs is actually on stack overflow with the google-chrome-app tag. We monitor that tag and will hopefully respond quickly.

If you want to file bugs or feature requests for the APIs the best place is http://crbug.com. We also monitor that closely as well.