More Users Than Sales on Paid Packaged App

Carl

Jan 22, 2011, 11:25:11 AM1/22/11
to Chromium Apps
My paid app recently had a sale that was canceled due to the user's
credit card being declined. Now, for the first time, I have one more
user showing than I have actual completed sales. I'm not sure if
there's a connection between the two events, but in the past I've
normally had slightly fewer users listed than I've had sales.

I'm wondering how it could be possible for there to be more users than
actual sales. Anyone have an idea?

I've read this earlier discussion on how the store counts users:

http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-apps/browse_thread/thread/efe2ae867f0cdf67/25bc7ed997558e6d?lnk=gst&q=count#25bc7ed997558e6d

There are a few questions that the above thread does not seem to
answer:

1. Does a single purchaser who installs legitimately on more than one
computer (using the same account with which they purchased the app)
count as more than one user when the Web store counts updates? That
could explain having more users than sales.

2. Is it possible that the user count could be increased by "side-

3. Does a sales transaction for which Google Checkout disallows the
card ever proceed to allow an install?

4. If a user cancels the sale within the 30 minute limit, does the app
continue to work for them and does it continue to report them as a
user? I had one canceled sale from a Google developer who was
probably testing apps prior to the store opening, and another such
sale from a regular user (who later returned to buy the app again).

5. Does the event of the user clicking the install button immediately
increment the count of users, even if the transaction does not
complete? The abovementioned thread would indicate that the answer is
no, since it describes the count as being entirely from the Chrome
browser's polling for updates from the Store for each of its installed
apps.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the above?

rah...@chromium.org

Jan 24, 2011, 2:09:44 PM1/24/11
to Chromium Apps
Hi Carl,

This could happen in some scenarios but should be a very uncommon
occurrence. I will follow up with you off-thread to get more details
so we can track this down. In the meantime, some more details inline.

On Jan 22, 8:25 am, Carl <goalst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My paid app recently had a sale that was canceled due to the user's
> credit card being declined.  Now, for the first time, I have one more
> user showing than I have actual completed sales.  I'm not sure if
> there's a connection between the two events, but in the past I've
> normally had slightly fewer users listed than I've had sales.
>
> I'm wondering how it could be possible for there to be more users than
> actual sales.  Anyone have an idea?
>
> I've read this earlier discussion on how the store counts users:
>
> http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-apps/browse_th...
>
> There are a few questions that the above thread does not seem to
> answer:
>
> 1. Does a single purchaser who installs legitimately on more than one
> computer (using the same account with which they purchased the app)
> count as more than one user when the Web store counts updates?  That
> could explain having more users than sales.

Yes, this could happen.It requires that the user has chrome up and
running on both devices (since we could update requests to compute
users).

> 2. Is it possible that the user count could be increased by "side-

Any possible work around to the regular install process (e.g. by
finding and installing the package by other means) will not result in
incrementing the user count.

> 3. Does a sales transaction for which Google Checkout disallows the
> card ever proceed to allow an install?

This should never happen.

> 4. If a user cancels the sale within the 30 minute limit, does the app
> continue to work for them and does it continue to report them as a
> user?  I had one canceled sale from a Google developer who was
> probably testing apps prior to the store opening, and another such
> sale from a regular user (who later returned to buy the app again).

When the user cancels the purchase from the store page, the app is
uninstalled. There could be scenarios in which a cancellation doesn't
result in the app being uninstalled. There may be rare cases where an
app remains installed after cancellation (e.g. if the uninstall fails
for some reason).

> 5. Does the event of the user clicking the install button immediately
> increment the count of users, even if the transaction does not
> complete?  The abovementioned thread would indicate that the answer is
> no, since it describes the count as being entirely from the Chrome
> browser's polling for updates from the Store for each of its installed
> apps.

That is correct - the user count does not update immediately.

Carl

Jan 25, 2011, 7:37:35 AM1/25/11
to Chromium Apps
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

On Jan 24, 11:09 am, "rahu...@chromium.org" <rahu...@chromium.org>