NSEB India

Satwik Ramraika

Jun 28, 2021, 4:02:17 AM6/28/21
to Biology Olympiads Study group
I have just started preparing for the biology olympiads do I just wanted to know if the global edition of campbell biology includes Mastering biology or not?
I don't have any knowledge on how to do what so please guide me if you can!

Dr Megha Arora

Jun 28, 2021, 12:45:39 PM6/28/21
to biolympiads...@biolympiads.com
Hi dear,
May i know for which olympiad specifically you started to prepare? If you are preparing for NSEB then campbell is good one. But some topics may be missing or not completely explained as required in the same. So first you need to check the syllabus then cover most of the topics from Campbell. Remaining you can study fro internet through ppts.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 1:32 PM Satwik Ramraika <ramraik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have just started preparing for the biology olympiads do I just wanted to know if the global edition of campbell biology includes Mastering biology or not?
I don't have any knowledge on how to do what so please guide me if you can!

charusheela kshirsagar

Jun 28, 2021, 12:45:40 PM6/28/21
to biolympiads...@biolympiads.com
Hello sir,
Yes Sir if your basics are clear that Campbell Biology is sufficient.
But do read references for biochemistry, human physiological, Genetics and evolution, ecology etc also for confidence.
Yes it is definitely tedious but once for all will help you.
Regards.

Ravi Nunia

Jul 3, 2021, 2:36:45 AM7/3/21
to Biology Olympiads Study group, Satwik Ramraika
Hi Satwik,
I think you should definitely start with Campbell. Make sure that you google the things which you find confusing rather than leaving them. Personally, google was of most help for me. Remember that reading Campbell completely is a huge task, so I suggest you start with the Genetics unit, then move on to Ethology(behavioral biology) and then read Cell Biology from it. In my opinion, if you have less time then reading anything else from it will not be that beneficial, rather you should solve lots of practice papers such as NSEB, INBO, Toronto Biology Olympiad, USABO, ABO, NZABO, etc., etc. These papers can be overwhelming at first but trust me, don't focus on the scores, rather focus on how much you can learn from analyzing the options of the questions....I will suggest you start from Toronto then move on to NSEB then on to USABO Opens, then USABO Semis, and finally INBO but it depends on you how you want to do it :) Google whatever you are doubtful about, teachers aren't of much help in olympiad preparation but trust me if you do all this, you will definitely reach at least the camp :) And for later on you can read Raven's, Sherwood, Lehninger's, Albert's, etc. but I think you should first read Campbell and solve all the practice papers mentioned above :) Hoping that you get the gold :)

Sincerely,
Ravi.